about to run against some ricers, need some help on launching

c2see21 said:
ewwe...... that makes me cringe just hearing that story :nonono: i respect all types of cars, but some things just don't seem right

I met the guy that drives the Civic and he has about $20K in the motor and it runs 10's all day long. Pretty scary ride. :hail2: I do like this car because it looks like a stock civic with stock civic wheels and no stickers. The only thing that gives it away is the exhaust and the big drag radials on the front.

• Sponsors (?)

neoclasiccl said:
I met the guy that drives the Civic and he has about $20K in the motor and it runs 10's all day long. Pretty scary ride. :hail2: I do like this car because it looks like a stock civic with stock civic wheels and no stickers. The only thing that gives it away is the exhaust and the big drag radials on the front.

:OT:

I respect anything fast, but on the other hand I feel that fat ass tires out front look plain goofy.

yeah i want to know the results also
launch like you're going from a stop light so somewhere around 1700 rpm and then just ease out
the only one of those three that i ever ran into that i had a problem with was an integra type r that was running 14.1 at the track
while stock i spun hard on the launch and was dead even with him till third gear then i heard this noise from his car, the vtec kicked in and he walked me by a car

wanna know the results?

lol, they chickened out. :rlaugh: the guy i was talking to was like "i dont think i really want to race tonight b/c blah blah blah, and uh, i gotta go." i tried racing this guy before and the same thing happened. we were all lined up, his Accord, my GT, and my buddie's Audi TT. to warm up the tires i dumped the clutch and did a mini burnout. all of a sudden, he goes, "no way, i dont wanna race no more. my brakes are too old and i wont be able to brake after the 1/4 mile" he goes "drive my car and you'll see how bad my brakes are." this guy is such a loser. i'll keep after him tho untill he gives me a shot at his car and all his ricer friend's cars. this guy cracks me up :rlaugh:

funny. I had a kid working at a gas station challenge me out of the blue one day (he had an rsx). I was like "I will race if you really want but I don't know how you expect to make up 1 second just driving "(his car was stock). Then he is like "well I am at work anyway but my car is fast bla bla bla" etc. ben different if the car had some mods or something. it was litteraly 2 days old stock. I guess maybe I read to much but I don't run around challenging faster cars in a stock car. kind of pointless.

rule of thumb I always follow in a street race is keep traction. most people you end up racing on the streets are not dead on with thier driving either. so if the tires go up in smoke feather the throttle out. I usually roll out hard then bang the gears and try to keep traction. as long as you keep traction and don't miss a gear then it is hard to complain if you lose.

My secret to not spinning on the street is i dump the clutch hard enough to where it almost kills the car but i time it with just enough gas to get it rolling and not die. It brings the Rpms way down where there is no power and its all tq that pulls you ahead.

how would someone go about racing from a roll, theres a guy here in a civic that will only run me from a 40 mph roll. Do i just drop it in 2nd and punch the gas? Some people have said some other things. I dont know. later

Highroller said:
I would take off like you do from a stop light.. then ease into it.. don't worry if there alittle ahead of you... if you panic and step on it you will blow off tire and they will put more distance on you..

Just take it easy out of the whole and ease into it.. quick shifts... (don't take your foot off the gas the whole time and you will catch em... or you should..

Agreed...if you dont get a chance to practice ALOT on slipping the clutch...dont bother taking off too aggressive. Just go about half throttle with the clutch out and then get on it and blow by them. Besides its alot more fun making them think holy crap i took him off the line i might win than BLAM you blwo by them. If you DO get to practice though. Take some time going 3/4 throttle with the clutch halfway engaged and ease into as you go full throttle. If done perfectly you'll spin for a split second and then your tires will grab and you can hammer second. Remember be ready for second...when i was first learning sometimes i would screw up shifting to second (i know it sounds stupid but it happens). because i was so worried about not spinning off the launch.

kirkyg

whenever you race from a roll, just make sure you put it in the proper gear....its not hard....just pick the gear that give you at least 3000 rpms. abouy 4000 might even be better. then just nail it on the third honk.
Mike

BullittStangV8 said:
whenever you race from a roll, just make sure you put it in the proper gear....its not hard....just pick the gear that give you at least 3000 rpms. abouy 4000 might even be better. then just nail it on the third honk.
Mike

i pop the clutch, this kinda launches you like if you were to do it off the line, just keep the gas in in a gear thats about 4k and pop the clutch and wham...

dragginuts said:
i pop the clutch, this kinda launches you like if you were to do it off the line, just keep the gas in in a gear thats about 4k and pop the clutch and wham...
Wouldn't it be better to already be in gear, on the gas? Steady speed.
Popping the clutch could break your tires loose, make you lose control. I don't see any benefit to dropping the clutch in a race from a roll.