About to spend $51 on tko-600 fluid, any alternatives?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, it was $1600 brand new, in 2004/2005. I was hoping for an answer before my ride the the GM dealer got here, but I'll feel better paying $54 for the specified oil. Cheaper is often as good for many things

personally i wouldn't use penz. for the same reason i dont use their oil. to me its pretty low on the oil chain in terms of quality. i would go with the GM stuff, other wise redline or whoever better brand. also i changed mine after like 3k miles(break in engine, break in tranny thinking here), so think of that as well. i went with GM stuff that was like $15 or so a quart that prob three years ago. if penz makes it for GM, i dunno but i feel better that i poured it out of a GM bottle.

You guys crack me up... spend 2K on a trans (dont forget the cost of the clutch and bellhousing too...) and then you want to save a few pennies on the oil that keeps it alive ?!?!?!

:shrug: :nono:

Thats like spending 10K on a motor and then running generic motor oil and Fram filters... "why did I blow up my new motor in only 20,000 miles?"
:rlaugh: :rolleyes: :rlaugh:

Thats like spending 10K on a motor and then running generic motor oil and Fram filters... "why did I blow up my new motor in only 20,000 miles?"
:rlaugh: :rolleyes: :rlaugh:

I do both of those and my motor seems just fine, i wouldnt run anything but a fram HP1 on my motor after seeing what the inside of the filter looks like

The debate is who charges the most for the same product. Often dealer parts are made by the same manufacturers that make the aftermarket but the dealer jacks the price because they know people will pay it because it has that lable on it because they think it's the superior product. Guess what, that's not true. Whats so great about a fluid that is made by a manufacturer that only needs thier product to last 3 years and 36000 miles.

the price of synchromesh is getting outta hand, the first time i bought it which as like 5 years ago, it was 11 bucks a quart. you have to just bite the bullet and pay for it...

But look on the bright side, BMW tranny fluid is like 80 bucks a quart.

I just bought the GM equivalent in the Royal Purple it was like 16 or 17 a quart. This was for my TKO 3550 trans, I guess I was happy it only takes 3 quarts.

Scott

I tried to buy that from napa, they were discontinuing it, so i was gonna get it for 10 bucks a qt. then the manager comes out and says i have to buy everything they have left in the store or i cant buy anything. I dunno about NAPA's everywhere else, but in WMASS, the guys are all a bunch of pickle poachers that work there