? about transmission install

I have a couple questions about installing my tranny. I took it out last summer to replace it. I have a 97 GT with a t-45. I put it all back together and it seems that the transmission is angled to the right a bit when i put the cross member into place. When you look down on the tranny from inside the car there is a 1/4 inch gap on the right and about an inch gap on the left. Also it makes the driveshaft hug the right side of the underbody which makes me think something is off. Do any of you have the same thing where it doesnt look like it lines up directly down the center of the car.

Also what transmission fluid should i use?

• Sponsors (?)

I believe that there should be alignment dowels on the bellhousing. Perhaps one is not seating in its receptacle hole and is throwing off the alignment?

Everything is bolted up correctly from the tranny to the engine it sits fine.

Does anyone have a pic of the shifter bolted to the transmission without the shifter boot on it?

It kind of looks like the driveshaft is off as well. I dont want to put it back together then get a bad vibration. I dont understand.

Hmm..the crossmember should line it up.

Isn't the crossmember symmetrical?

I know it's sort of an illusion that the tranny doesn't sit right because the tranny has a groove that slants down right above where the crossmember sits.

But you said the driveshaft hugs the right side of your underbody.

I can check my shifter tomorrow to see if it's in the middle with the boot off.

I just did my tranny swap so it's still easy to get to.:nice:

It could be cause its jacked up but i dont see why the shifter would sit so far to the right. Here are some pics that i took

View attachment 391200

View attachment 391203

View attachment 391205

notice how its sits to the right. I would think it would cause severe vibration being so out of line but i dont know what would cause it.

It really is not that bad until you move the tranny crossmember into place then it pushes it right.