Abs And Trac Off Lights

TStrux

Jun 28, 2015
I drive a 2004 Mach 1 and yesterday both my trac off and abs lights came on. They will stay on from when I start the car til I turn it off. Other times I will start the car and they will never turn on. If possible I don't want to pay 115 to have it diagnosed. Any ideas? I know the sensors and modules can go bad just hoping I can get a basic idea of which it may be from the forums.

• Sponsors (?)

Both are tied to the ABS system, so if there is a fault, the ABS light comes on and the TC light will turn off as the system cannot work without ABS.

Only way to tell what's wrong is to read the codes. Either need to find a buddy who can do this for you, or head to the dealer.

You can buy yourself a relatively cheap code reader that you can use in any car for about the price of the diagnosis fee. Never hurts to have extra tools. Not all codes trip the MIL so you might not see that you have a code thrown. Also, if the ABS light is on it should have a code you can pull. Once you know the code you can troubleshoot from there.

My money's with rusty, buy the tool, you will use it again. You can check with Midas muffler if you have one. They will usually do free dtc diagnostic, they may also do your abs. Do the same with oreillys and the other parts stores. If not buy the tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah most auto parts stores will pull the codes for you. I'd bet it's a bad pickup/sensor. Have you checked your tire air pressure lately? A tire with very low pressure can also cause the ABS/TC system to throw an error.