ABS Light

DJ Fury

Aug 22, 2009
Car has been runnin great since I replaced the 2 vacuum lines and the CEL has gone away since then.

This morning I was driving and as I was getting on an offramp my ABS light came on and stayed on until I shut the car off and restarted it.

I have a 2000 GT which does not have Traction Control or ABS. What would cause this light to come on? Not sure if it matters but its been a rainy morning and I drove through a few puddles, nothing major.

• Sponsors (?)

What I noticed on my 98 and my dads 03 was the calipers often get stuck as after a while the boot allows the grease to leak out of the sliders (for lack of proper word). This caused our pads to stick and brake lights to come on. Of course both of us had abs, but that is an altogether separate issue.

IMO, something is grounding out terminal C135-16 at the ABS module location. Since the car does not have ABS, there will not be anything plugged into C135. Suspect that something metal is touching the connector grounding out the pin(s).

Note, I can not upload the diagram. Apparently all of my space is used up.

Definitely NOT the brake light. The brake light is red. This was a yellow ABS light with the semi circles around it.

Would said diagram be in the Haynes for my year? Happen to have one here.

And at least for my year (2000) Traction Control was only an option. Traction control comes with ABS. I didn't want ABS. So no traction control button for me.

When I first read this post, I was confused because I thought that ABS was standard equipment on all GT's. Traction control was an OPTION.

Note, traction control REQUIRES ABS. However, ABS does not require TC.

Please look at the URL from Cars.com. It states that ABS was standard equipment for 2000 GT's.

If true, you are having a real problem with ABS. Usually it is no signal from a wheel sensor.

2000 Ford Mustang Standard Equipment and Specs

Excerpt from WEB page:
Safety and Security
Four-wheel ABS brakes Standard
4 ABS channels Standard
Four-wheel disc brakes Standard
Front ventilated disc brakes Standard
Compact spare tire Standard
Spare tire mounted inside under cargo Standard
Driver and passenger front-impact airbags Standard
Side-impact bars Standard
Ignition disable Securilock
Panic alarm Standard
ABS and driveline traction control Optional
Manual adjustable front head restraints Standard

Well guess I'll have to do some double checking in my original window sticker.

This is the first time the ABS light has come on in the life of the car and since I made this topic it hasn't come back. I'm going to chalk it up as one of those "all the right freak circumstances" incident.