ABS problems plz help!!!!

spetz

Jul 3, 2006
I recently noticed that when i hammer on the brakeds my abs is kicking in to early. It almost caused me to crash the other day because it would not allow me to break quickly. It also kicks in to early if i'm on gravel or go over bumps. My freinds cavalier used to the same thing until he pulled the fuse. Should i just pull the abs fuse and go without it. I'm used to not having ABS and dont mind taking it out. Any suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't understand how ABS can cause you to crash when it was designed to allow you to steer during a hard brake and prevent a wheel lockup which is almost impossible to steer.

I don't know how many times ABS has saved me. Maybe you need to evaluate your driving style.

For one I don't drive extremely fast and have never been in an accident my whole driving career. The time it almost caused me to crash I was zoning out a little bit and the person hit his breaks hard. I tried to hit my breaks about half way down not worrying because i had pelnty of distance and the abs started to kick in and barely let me stop in time. My tires were no way even close to sliding so it should not have kicked in. When I go over bumps and tap the breaks it kick in. Maybe I should switch back to my old taurus.....lol

My DD is a Cavalier and I have had nothing but problems with the ABS in the 3 years i have owned it. ABS has almost caused me to hit people on dry road conditions and not to mention i have a replace a sensor at any one of the wheels every 4 months or so. When i get my new Mustang I will consider purchasing it without ABS. My only reason to get it on my new car will be because the Cavalier is a Chevy and maybe ford's abs is better.

For one I don't drive extremely fast and have never been in an accident my whole driving career. The time it almost caused me to crash I was zoning out a little bit and the person hit his breaks hard. I tried to hit my breaks about half way down not worrying because i had pelnty of distance and the abs started to kick in and barely let me stop in time. My tires were no way even close to sliding so it should not have kicked in. When I go over bumps and tap the breaks it kick in. Maybe I should switch back to my old taurus.....lol

It kicks in going over bumps? Yeah..that is wierd.

yeh I'm definetely gona pull the fuse....I wonder why the cavalier had so many problems. What year was your cavalier my friends was a 99 and since we live by almost all gravel roads to have your abs messing up is like asking for a death wish. I would suggest that you do get abs with your new mustang I think this problem just exists with mine. I do like the abs when it works with my parents cars but owe well thanks for the replies.

abs sucks. its for people who dont know how to brake in a dangerous situation.
if your having those kind of problems i would pull the fuse.
abs has still got many problems including, fading pedal coming to a stop, ever driven an explorer with abs failure?? the most common problem is coming to a stop under 20mph and abs activates, pedal drops to the floor and hums and pulses causing delayed braking coming to a stop sign..not safe..
how about in this case where spetz was following a car and he had to brake hard
to avoid a collision, another very common problem that happens all the time
called delayed braking. the problem is you just yelled in your head 'stop ****er'..
and gave yourself a heartattack because you barely miised the other car because of the pulsating brake pedal..or when a wheel speed sensor isnt reading correctly
and gives a false indication of speed to the abs system and it cost you
100-400 bucks just to have your ****ty braking fixed..
plain and simple abs sucks.
the phrase alone should make you stay away from purchasing a new car with abs
ANTI-BRAKING-SYSTEM.......ANTI.... BRAKING....
There was nothing wrong with conventional power brakes, it was the people
who didnt know how to use them, and so they considered abs for the future.
abs isnt mandatory like air bags for a reason...it sucks..and not intended to save you in a serious braking situation. its to HELP you control steering away from the oncoming accident..

My Cavalier is a 2000 and ABS also kicks in when i go over bumps on dry days, its insane and very cheap and useless in my opinion. Never had problems stopping in the snow or driving in the snow with my 1987 Rear wheel drive oldsmobile cutlass supreme!