ABS working too soon?

BlackFox5.0

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2000
Massachusetts
On my g/f's '94, when in the snow, and you step on the brakes enoguh, the pedal makes a kinda grinding noise, and vibrates. I assume this is the ABS?

I am not sure if the wheels are locking up or not, but the car keeps moving. If I do the same in my car, I can stop much better, and my car doesn't have ABS.

Does this sound normal?

• Sponsors (?)

i know exactly what your talking about. My 95 does that too and i have always wanted to know what its doing. When this happens i just pump the brakes and i stop ALOT quicker. Anyone know whats going on with the ABS on the 94-95's?

-Drew

when u feel that grinding, its pumping your brakes for you so its pointless to pump them yourself. i dont know how pumping the brakes yourself would help you stop quicker, if it does maybe there is something wrong with your abs. but the abs has saved my life and car a few times already so i have alot of faith in it,when you feel that grinding just keep your foot steady on the pedal applying pressure and dont let off and you should stop fine, back when i went to driving school this is what they taught us to do. also if your on dry ground your abs should only kick in if your going very fast and your tires start to slide when you try to make a sudden stop, or if your in the snow and you jam on the brakes and begin to slide, if your in the snow an jam on the brakes without abs your gonna slide twice as far and probably even sideways out of control

cb18201 said:
when u feel that grinding, its pumping your brakes for you so its pointless to pump them yourself. i dont know how pumping the brakes yourself would help you stop quicker, if it does maybe there is something wrong with your abs. but the abs has saved my life and car a few times already so i have alot of faith in it,when you feel that grinding just keep your foot steady on the pedal applying pressure and dont let off and you should stop fine, back when i went to driving school this is what they taught us to do. also if your on dry ground your abs should only kick in if your going very fast and your tires start to slide when you try to make a sudden stop, or if your in the snow and you jam on the brakes and begin to slide, if your in the snow an jam on the brakes without abs your gonna slide twice as far and probably even sideways out of control
:nice: Excellent advice. ABS=anti-lock braking system. That is its design. Not to let the brakes lock up. The "grinding" noise is the abs pump doing its job. :hail2:

I don't understand why stopping distance is longer when in the snow, it should be better than it is. I only do it in the snow in front of the driveway, going 5mph or slower to check out the ABS. I wasn't sure it was working because it stops so horribly in the snow :(

cb18201 said:
so your saying the car without the abs stops better in the snow than the car with the abs?

Yes.

If I didn't have to, I wouldn't be driving my car in the snow, or rain. I can't afford to have 2 cars on the road at the same time. Sometimes, you just gotta live with what you have. I'm lucky I even have a mustang! :flag:

something is wrong with the abs then because that doesnt make any sense, when you jam on the brakes in a car without it your just going to slide , possibly sideways and out of control too, and with abs it pumps your brakes so you slow down alot quicker and dont spin out of control. ide get that checked out