Absoulute First 5 Foxbody Mods

FWIW, I ran a stock '86 alternator for yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears with under drive pulleys and an e-fan. I'm still not convinced that the 130A upgrade did jack for me. Some part of me wants to believe that people with other wiring/electrical problems want to blame the small stock alt for their troubles, when really it's not at fault whatsoever.

Uh... no. It's definitely at fault. Stockers were only 75 amp. Swapping all pullies except the alternator resulted in no problems, but replacing the alternator and crank resulted in a lack of charging in my car. I swapped the stock pulley back on and no problems. Funny because I could keep the car alive during the day for a while, but with the lights on, there was no chance. I think I was still running a stock coil at the time. Don't know how you pulled off the E-fan and all pullies. When I upgraded to an e-fan, I also upgraded to a 90 amp autozone deal to keep things humming along.

With the new combo, computer stuff, and all new badass stuff under the hood, I went with an equally badass 200 amp PA performance deal. Hopefully, that quenches any electrical thirst I ever have. I'm sure it's overkill, but between the BS3, MSD 7+, "high voltage/current" HVC coil, dual electric fans, insane fuel pump, etc, etc... maybe even a sound system one day? 200 amp should have me covered :nice:

But... and I'm definitely ignorant on electrical systems... My theory is that a given alternator draws the amperage that the system currently needs. So, I question the use of alternator pullies altogether.

• Sponsors (?)