Ac Compressor Clutch/coil Replaced Won't Engage

Jul 19, 2015
Hello! I've lurked on this site for a long time, whenever I have a problem and Google it the first thing I look for is a stangnet link. I've searched the forums and still can't quite get the answers/speculations I need.

I have a 01 GT that badly needed the ac clutch replaced. After several hours and a Oh &#!# moment when I realized I had put the freaking coil in the wrong spot and had to pull everything again I finally got it all buttoned up. Checked air gap and it was below 30 but above 18 thought awesome! I'll finally have ac and no more screech. (the bearing literally pooped out all the balls when I pulled the pulley off it was crazy) anyway, go to fire up the car and no start. Get very frustrated and go get some tea. Remember a plug looking frayed by the compressor and patched it and yay! Car started. Put it on max ac and excitedly heard the motor lower it's voice as if the clutch had engaged, but no cold air? Look at clutch and yup the hub is just standing there not moving mocking me. I think ok maybe it needed a smaller shim. Put in a smaller shim start up car and NOPE bad idea. Clutch hub was trying to spin but I could tell something wasn't right, it might have been the slight hint of smoke. Shut down motor, like an idiot go to take off hub and burn thumb. Sit back and curse. Finally get hub off put back shim and rechecked air gap (forgot to do that very important step when I tried swapping) it's right in the middle at 24. So now I'm scouring this site and you guys say jump low pressure switch. Get some wire and do that. The motor rumbles lower when I jump but still no clutch engagement. Now I'm hot, frustrated and just fed up. I then put one of those cheapo autozone gauges on the low side and it shows 10. My questions are:

Could really low r134 make it to where even if you jumped the low pressure switch the clutch wouldn't engage? Really really hoping this is it.

Anyway to tell if the coil is working? I don't have a multimeter or even a test light (tools got stolen out of garage)

Read some things about something called a WOT by the ccrm? Anyway to test it?

Could the entire compressor be shot? Would that cause the clutch not to engage?

Please I really could any advice. Hell even a long shot at this point. Thanks for any assistance!

• Sponsors (?)

Could really low r134 make it to where even if you jumped the low pressure switch the clutch wouldn't engage?!
No. Even if the system has zero Freon jumping the low pressure switch will make a working AC clutch engage.
Read some things about something called a WOT by the ccrm? Anyway to test it?
Sure, Drive the car and go to wide open throttle. The AC clutch should disengage.
Could the entire compressor be shot? Would that cause the clutch not to engage?
Sure it's possible for the compressor to be shot. But the operation of the AC clutch is separate.
Anyway to tell if the coil is working? I don't have a multimeter or even a test light (tools got stolen out of garage)
Sure, power the coil directly from a 12 volt power source. If the clutch engages, then you know it's good.

If this were my car, one of the first tests I would do is to check all fuses inside and out.

Next test for key on and AC on power at the low pressure switch. What to do next depends upon if there's power or not.

Sure, power the coil directly from a 12 volt power source. If the clutch engages, then you know it's good.

If this were my car, one of the first tests I would do is to check all fuses inside and out.

Next test for key on and AC on power at the low pressure switch. What to do next depends upon if there's power or not.

Ok thank you very much. I've checked all fuses all were good. I'll just have to buy a new multimeter to test the low pressure switch.

When I replaced mine I couldn't get the air gap right with the new shims. I took the old shims and put those in and it worked fine.

Was the cat much help?

Waiting for payday to buy a voltmeter, yeah the shims were a pita lol and if you mean sitting in my face and rubbing its butt all over me while I'm under the car then yes the cat was a great help!

Reactions: 1 user