Accel Ignition coil creating noisy ringing/buzzing inside car

MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member
Dec 2, 2000
Lehigh Acres Fla.
NOT in the speakers. The noise is quite loud and is coming from behind the drivers side dash. Its onw of Accels high output coils. Bought it a few years ago. Ever since I had it installed, this noise started up. Anyone else have this? And anyone ever quiet it down?

• Sponsors (?)

Dude, I don't even know if this is related but it makes since since both a transformer and a coil are made similar. I had a transformer making that noise in a flat panel monitor. Come to find out, the windings of the coil get loose over time and started to vibrate and make noise. Most folks say it will not hurt anything. I used a bunch of hot clue and covered the transformer and it went away immediately. I know you probably can't do that though. May need a new coil if it bugs you real bad.

Doesn't bug me real bad. It's made the noise ever since I installed it. And yes, a coil is essentialy a transformer, but connected in reverse. Instead of stepping down the voltage, it steps up. And it outputs in pulses instead of a steady stream of current (to fire the plugs go figure). I think the stock coil is rated at 30KV, while this one is a high output 40-45KV. Stock one never made any noise. It's probably in the coil design, perhaps the core. It maybe due to a much higher voltage and the quantity of iron in the core amplifying the harmonics from the HV spark. ............. I took electronics courses when I was younger .. lol.

In another thread, I mentioned that I used plastic washers between the coil bracket and the strut tower. I "thought" it qwelled the noise a bit.. but when I took them off, I didn't notice a difference. I initially thought the washers were causing my engine to not rev up past 1/4th throttle. Turns out it wasn't the problem. There may not be much I can do, except maybe re-locate the coi. Ehhh there really isn't anywhere else to put it. I guess it's not a big deal. I haven't heard anyone else noting the same problem as I have. Maybe others either dont have the problem or don't care about hearing it and just don't say anything. Shrug.

Man, I know what you mean. I had a really nice 78 Z-28 that had a small tap in the motor. It wasn't loud but enough to bother me. I didn't know if was a wrist pin or what, I ended up getting rid of the car just because of the small noise (and it was a chevy lol). My current setup with dumped flowmasters would not let me hear anything like that. For all I know my HVC coil is loud.