Accu 75 added...spooky looking plugs !!!

what do you normally use when tunning on the dyno RIO? initial timing and fuel pressure. ....You pretty much summed it up right there...I would only do it if its running good, otherwise it could be a waste of money unless your trying to find a gremlin...which I guess it could help pinpoint...This is the place I used last time...They know Fords which is nice.

http://www.performance-dyno.com/

your currently running a stock computer tune? besides the extender ....Yes

i have a kirban regulator to install still.... Ya throw that on...usually you do timing then go after F/P to get a decent AFPR..You see more than a few guys get boned as they can't "tweak" the fuel.. maybe a few ponies hiding in the F/P..we take what we can..:D
Its been said more than once that the EEC will compensate and "change" the F/P...Not really sure on that one as I had one dyno...set all my stuff and did another over a year later, changing to an entirely different intake set-up, and used my previous dyno settings and it was spot on for 2 pulls...wasnt worth touching anything...
I'm no pro on this stuff but the EEC fuel compensation thing just doesn't sink in to me?? Granted I was still running 19s and a F/P of 38 which is damn near stock..Maybe Hissin or Grady will step in and enlighten us on that..:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

RIO5.0 said:
Well I finally got around to putting the car on the road as the mornings are getting chilly with the bike...
I added a GT40 upper and had to fab another CAI...So I had this Accu 75 I bought a year or so ago and figured why not throw it on. The car seems to run the balls with it...Idle took no problem...she idles a nice lumpy 800 or so, sounds cammier then ever??...I was really impressed with the steady idle...throttle response is spot on, although its way touchy...it runs the balls right up to 5500 no problem...
I run about 75 miles or so on and all seems cool...only thing is I got a real rich smell to the exhaust, and its woofing fuel bigtime??? Seems odd as I figured it would be the opposite with the 75 going on it, the fuel stank that is...So tonite I figure I really outta pull a plug for a look see as I didn't have my FP gage hooked up yet and its risky as I added the CAI/75 and somethings gotta change...I pulled #1 and YOWZA...damn White like I never seen before...:eek:
the thing is super lean....Maybe my 8 month old stabilized gas was giving off the stank that I thought was a rich condition??

So naturally I hook my gage line up and put 6 lbs to it, 38 to 44...All my previous dyno's were spot on at 38 lbs...That was with the 93 Cobra I was running before..
So i figure I'll take it to work tomorrow (32 mi round trip) and do another read on the plugs....
Now i got the RPM Extender I was gonna throw in this weekend but I'm not really sure how the set-up the Kirban and extender dial for FP?? Are these 2 things gonna funk each other out???
Im still running 19s and maybe thats not a good idea with the 75 and this CAI/GT40 with a 1" spacer on it??? To much air and not enuf fuel??? I could easily swap the 65 back on but I kinda like this 75??
I put my IAT sensor about 6" back from the MAF as I always have..that wouldn't be throwing anything wacky into this?? Or maybe the old gas???
I added a Wazee tensioner pulley too...maybe that leaned it out???:D

Thanks for any thoughts...

95043.jpg

CAI is a straight shot.
95050.jpg

Rio several ?s

1 What kind of valve covers are those? - I like
2 Where did you get them from?
3. How much?
4. Did you have to remove anything to accommodate the rear oil fill tube?
5. Any clearance issues with the rockers - if other than stock RRs?

Thanks

1 What kind of valve covers are those? - I like...M-6582-L302

2 Where did you get them from?......................FRPP catalog

3. How much?...........I pd 105.00

These are 4.5" tall...without a Fox TB swap I wouldn't even attempt it..Youll have clearance issues all around, mostly the IAC if your running an elbow...A Fox swap and 3/8" spacer will let you run em...I run no EGR/smog either.

5. Any clearance issues with the rockers - if other than stock RRs?...I still have like 1.5" over the top of my Scorpions, these are huge inside..

RIO5.0 said:

These are 4.5" tall...without a Fox TB swap I wouldn't even attempt it..Youll have clearance issues all around, mostly the IAC if your running an elbow...A Fox swap and 3/8" spacer will let you run em...I run no EGR/smog either.

5. Any clearance issues with the rockers - if other than stock RRs?...I still have like 1.5" over the top of my Scorpions, these are huge inside..

Thanks for the info.

RIO5.0 said:

Andy, are you running a taller hood? With my 93 Cobra intake the PCV tube on top of the fox TB is almost rubbing the hood without an intake spacer and I recall you running those VCs with the old cobra upper a while back.

Tim

Tim...Odd as I had the stock hood with both the Explorer & 93 set-up..Needed/used the spacer for VC clearance on both..I never removed the blanket either??? I use an R hood now.

Dyno guy got back to me yesterday...I tried to sneak in Friday but he was at NED so that didn't happen..Gonna shoot for Tues/Wed this week..

Good Luck Rio! Hope everything works out as planned, and I don't need to tell you to keep us posted, I'm sure you're already itching...

I too like those VC's, but I'm definitely going to have to wait out on those since I'm really tossed up on what direction I want to take performance wise

RIO5.0 said:
Tim...Odd as I had the stock hood with both the Explorer & 93 set-up..Needed/used the spacer for VC clearance on both..I never removed the blanket either??? I use an R hood now.

Dyno guy got back to me yesterday...I tried to sneak in Friday but he was at NED so that didn't happen..Gonna shoot for Tues/Wed this week..

Good luck at the dyno Andy! Keep us posted on your results.

Did you feel any differences going from a 65mm TB to the 75mm, and noticeable loss in torque or responsiveness, any noticeable up top gains?

I guess your experiences show each car is different because the Cobra plaque and the PVC tube both rubbed my hood blanket without the spacer. I was dissappointed as I've always wanted to run the FRPP tall VCs, but I need to get a taller hood first!

Tim

Im gonna let the dyno tell the dif on the TBs...I'll tune with the 65 and then do a swap and see what gives...couldn't really get a good feel on the butt-meter. Didn't feel like it hurt it none.
I did like the 75 better, it seemed to make the idle smoother, picked right up on that...It idled dead nuts with not a hint of surge ...made the throttle way touchy though.

A dumb idea, but maybe for the hood clearance differences, you might want to compare your motor mounts. Fresh (often poly) mounts can make the critical difference it seems................

Good luck Andy!

HISSIN50 said:
A dumb idea, but maybe for the hood clearance differences, you might want to compare your motor mounts. Fresh (often poly) mounts can make the critical difference it seems................

Good luck Andy!

LOL, there you go again introducing facts and logic into the argument again Hissin! :hail2: My mounts are the stock mounts...knowing Andy he's got some high speed aftermarket mounts! :nice:

Tim

RIO5.0 said:
Im gonna let the dyno tell the dif on the TBs...I'll tune with the 65 and then do a swap and see what gives...couldn't really get a good feel on the butt-meter. Didn't feel like it hurt it none.
I did like the 75 better, it seemed to make the idle smoother, picked right up on that...It idled dead nuts with not a hint of surge ...made the throttle way touchy though.

I am very interested in the dyno results. I often wanted to know if the old 65mm vs 70mm argument was true, and if 75mm being too big was a wives tale too. Enlighten us Andy!

Tim

18mustangs said:
I am very interested in the dyno results. I often wanted to know if the old 65mm vs 70mm argument was true, and if 75mm being too big was a wives tale too.

I'm in for this Wed at 3:30... 1 hrs flogging time...:nice: I always get leary when I dyno...should get 7-8 runs in anyway...Hope she stays together, you never know..
I hear you on the 75...curious myself...
Gonna scam a camera and make a video too...It'll be a nice exhaust clip..:nice:

Check out the dyno forum on his site, its fairly new but good reading...Never came across one before..If the link doesn't go to it, look for it on the top Left.

http://www.performance-dyno.com/

Well she withstood the flogging...:nice:

Bottom line.... lost 5hp and gained 3 lbs TQ...The 75 is what actually got me more HP/TQ...we did an SAE correction as I was pretty much where I was 2 yrs ago...
basically my tune was pretty much right on...the AFR was right in the correct range...Was glad to see that on the first pull...We ran 3 pulls and really didnt get jack from tweaking the timing as the fuel looked fine...I was pretty much W.T.F.!!! So we figured why not do the 75...She picked up some on that pull so we tweaked the timing some + / - and got jack...Pulled 4 lbs of fuel out and got a few ponies...I actually went all the way back to 10 base on timing and just let the extender do its gig..

I knew there wasnt a big dif between this set-up and the 93 Cobra from last time...I gotta admit I was hoping to at least gain some TQ back...That wasnt the case...Im kinda stuffing alot of air in there and my cam being only 480 lift is prolly holding some back for sure..The 19 is a mild cam and I knew that going in...
I guess the only thing I gained was being able to run the Accu75 as its a nicer unit and you can feel the dif when its on vs the Ford 65 unit..
This is an o/lay of my 04 run and this one...My AFR ended up at 12.09

I swear if I had my old stock intake I'd throw it on and go right back for a compare...Back with my Tmoss stock lower I was 318 on TQ....The word "velocity" come to mind..:D
Id say this combo is tapped out...:D

103356.jpg

a stock intake wouldn't look nearly as nice as that one Andy. You haven't lost on average - just traded torque bands.

Having the max torque section of the curve where you spend most of your driving rpm is nice..................on the street, there is no substitute - John Lingenfelter taught me that little lesson in the early 80s.

Pic is kinda fuzzy...

Old was 262 RWHP @ 295 tq
New is 256 @ 298 tq

Custom cam is something I was gonna look into for next year as I wanted some low end back anyway...Maybe its just this upper set-up, but with 373s it still damn lazy down low...mid range and up is perfect though...:bang: