Acronyms???

LHillock

Dec 26, 2003
Hello all,

I recently purchased an 89 GT vert 5spd car. This is my first real 'toy' since I had a 70 mach1 about 15 years ago. I recently found this website a few weeks ago and I must say that this tech forum is absolutely awesome.

I'm not new to cars or motors (I've rebuilt several including the 351C in my older Mach1), However, seeing as the last stang I had was so much older, these acronyms are driving me crazy :) . EGR, IAC, TB, TPS, MAF, .......

Now some of these I think I know (although I'm not sure what they all look like), but would love some of the experts on the board to post some definitions for all of the stang related acronyms for some of us newer members. Also, what would be great, would be a digital pic of the sensors and devices which these acronyms describe.

Now forgive me if such a post has already been done. Just post a link to it and I will gladly follow!

By the way...

<h2 align="center"><font color="#0000CC"><strong><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">HAPPY
NEW YEAR!!!!!</font></strong></font> </h2>

• Sponsors (?)

Easiest for you would be to go to your local bookstore and buy or order the bible for Ford efi - which is written by a fellow named Probst. It will define all the acronyms for you, and much more than that. You'll understand what they all do and how they work together.

The big ones - maf - is the mass air sensor. It's the big round device that sits inbetween the air filter box and the throttle body. It measures how much air is passing into the engine. The iac/iab solenoid bypasses air around the throttle plate in response to signals from the computer and controls the idle speed of the car. It's the 3" long cylinder that sits at a 45 degree angle on the front of the throttle body. ECT is the engine coolant temp. sensor and it mounts in the larger black metal tube running from the front of the lower intake manifold back to the heater core connection on the passenger side of the engine. It tells the computer what temp. the coolant is. ACT is the air charge temp. sensor and it's located in the #5 intake runner (cylinders number 1-4 front to back pass. side; 5-8 front to back drivers side -- view from standing in front of the car looking under the hood). It tells the computer the temperature of the air charge entering the engine. EGR valve is the exhaust gas recirculation valve and it bolts to the backside of the spacer between the TB (throttle body) and the upper intake manifold. You can see the vacuum connection and the diaphragm just behind the spacer. It modulates how much exhaust is recirculated into the intake during part throttle conditions improving fuel mileage and emissions. TB is the throttle body -- follow the intake air hose from the filter box, past the maf and you'll come to the throttle body. Or, follow your throttle cable to where it attaches - that's the throttle body. On top of the throttle body is the TPS - throttle position sensor. As you open the throttle, this sensor tells the computer how far open you have it. O2 sensors on your car are located in the exhaust head pipes just below where the header connects to the head pipe. By sensing how much oxygen is in the exhaust stream, the computer can figure out what the air/fuel ratio is, and adjust mixture accordingly to reduce emissions and improve fuel economy.

Those are the biggies - hope that's helpful.