Adding power steering in '70 during 5.0 swap

whatagearhead

Feb 10, 2007
Chandler, AZ
Hey guys,

My son and I are progressing nicely on the V8 swap into his '70 coupe. We have the '89 5.0 HO and 5 spd from the Mustang LX about ready to put in. We are utilizing the serpentine system and components from the '89. We plan to add power steering since we'll have the pump and brackets in place.

I've done some searching through the archives and it seems pretty straight forward. Has anyone else done this swap (vs. a rack and pinion conversion) that could comment on the swap and the parts I need to order? I assume a new (rebuilt) gear box, pitman arm and center link. Is this correct? Anything else other that hoses? Anyone sell these hoses for the newer pump to the stock style gear box? Any suggestions on suppliers for the other needed components?

Thanks, Tom

• Sponsors (?)

you'll need the power control valve and ram cylinder, there are 4 hoses pressure and return and 2 from the valve to the ram. you'll need the power ram to frame attaching bracket and attaching hardware, center link, pitman arm and idler arm, hose bracket and insulator as well. all in all you're looking at probably around 12-1500 bucks to add a stock style power system or you can spend the same money and get a rack and pinion from www.randallsrack.com i'd go with the randalls rack personally and get a much better performing system than the factory add on system could ever be even with all new components.

i know you're probably thinking this is just a simple steering box swap but it's not, the factory power steering system is an add on Bendix style system similar to what was used on early novas and C3 corvettes. this a pretty involved swap actually and not a walk in the park, the power rack conversion would be a better way to add power steering and spend your money.

If you decide to put in a new steering gear, you might also want to check summit.
They carry the borgeson boxes, just look up the part number on borg's website and do a search on summit's, if I recall correctly it's slightly cheaper that buying straight from borgeson (I believe Borgeson also offers $40 for your old box, but you have to ship it to them)

Thanks guys, yeah I wasn't thinking this was a whole lot more complicated than the unit on my '67 C10, but now that I get into it it looks as complicated as the old unit I pulled out of my '69 Vette (I put a Steeroids kit in that). I've seen the borgeson boxes at Summit. I may just go with the rack.

Thanks guys, yeah I wasn't thinking this was a whole lot more complicated than the unit on my '67 C10, but now that I get into it it looks as complicated as the old unit I pulled out of my '69 Vette (I put a Steeroids kit in that). I've seen the borgeson boxes at Summit. I may just go with the rack.

the power steering system on an early stang is EXACTLY like the system found on an early vette. some of the parts are even interchangeable, mostly internal steering box parts but still interchangeable.