Adding power windows and locks

bonestock87

Founding Member
Dec 19, 2001
Cape Coral, FL
I was wondering if the wiring is already there to add power windows and locks to my '93. If it is does anyone know what all I'd need to get to do this? Besides the lock actuators, window motors and switches, what else would it take? Thanks!:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Most likely not if your car did not come with them. Do you have the rubber boots in the door openings? Do you have power mirrors or factory premium sound system? If so, you may have it, but no guarantees.

I installed power locks & windows on mine and I had to pull the wiring from door to door under the dash, it was located right below the windshield, the door wiring, door boots, power window regulators, power lock actuators and mounts, and the power window circuit breaker for the fuse box ( rectangular silver box that plugs into the fuse box) and you will need the correct power window door panels and armrests along with the switches. One word of warning, the power window regulator is spring loaded, so if you are removing the regulator from a donor car to put in yours, be aware of this when drilling out the rivets. The power wiring has a two prong plug that plugs right into the main harness in the driver's kick panel, it is the constant power for the locks, and key on power for the windows. One of the wires is pink, don't recall the other color though. The wiring is grounded in the driver's door.

Good luck!

Thanks trb for the info and reply! I do have the rubber boots that go from the body to the door. I have manual mirrors but do have premium sound (although I removed all that and replaced with much better stuff). It's not a big deal that I do this but sometimes it would be nice to hit the power lock button to let someone in or power down the passenger window on occasion.:rolleyes:

Locks are easier to add, you can keep the same door panels and armrests, but the manual window lock switches that replace the black plugs are a bit harder to find. I actually converted my car to only power locks like 20 years ago, but ended up going full power when I got the black interior. Locks require the same wiring, but don't need the circuit breaker. Luckily you have the boots, they were a PITA to get mounted in the chassis side of the door opening. I almost pulled the dash to get them sealed up right!