adjustable clutch cable and firewall

Nick12269

Sep 30, 2004
CT
I just put in a new adjustable clutch cable because the last one broke. My problem is the clutch wont engage untill just about at the top. The firewall adjustor is almost backed in all the way towards the firewall and when i try and turn it it just twists the cable with and it turns itself back... what am i doing wrong?

• Sponsors (?)

Adjustible clutch cable = THE problem. :)

You need a NON-adjustible clutch cable and a firewall adjuster. Grab a FORD "universal" clutch cable from Maximum Motorsports for like $75, shipped, poke it in there, and never mess with it again. Trust me, I've been there/done that with adjustibles AND aftermarket cables, and this is about the only one that's worth it for Foxes. (Frankenstang can back me on this, the difference between her old cable and the new one was night and day.)

In the meantime, the rule for adjustment with cables is less slack in the cable = the clutch engages higher. So, if you have it wayyyyy tightened down, it will catch really high (or may not fully engage at all, which can lead to slippage and a smoked/glazed clutch); likewise, if you've got it too loose, it'll be hard to get in/out of gears smoothly and it'll catch with the pedal right off the floor. Being that you have a firewall adjuster AND an adjustible cable (totally redundant setup, really), you'll just have to play with it a lot to find the right balance.

With the cable turning with it ... what part are you trying to turn, exactly, that's making the whole cable twist? There should be a nut with a jam nut tightened up against it on the tranny side of the cable - loosen the jam nut first, then back the main nut off until you've got a decent amount of slack. Secure the jam nut tightly against the main nut again (it will work itself loose, otherwise), and take up the leftover slack with the firewall adjuster. Obviously, it's easier to make your adjustments at the firewall than having to crawl underneath the whole car. :D

Adjustible clutch cable = THE problem. :)

You need a NON-adjustible clutch cable and a firewall adjuster. Grab a FORD "universal" clutch cable from Maximum Motorsports for like $75, shipped, poke it in there, and never mess with it again. Trust me, I've been there/done that with adjustibles AND aftermarket cables, and this is about the only one that's worth it for Foxes. (Frankenstang can back me on this, the difference between her old cable and the new one was night and day.)

In the meantime, the rule for adjustment with cables is less slack in the cable = the clutch engages higher. So, if you have it wayyyyy tightened down, it will catch really high (or may not fully engage at all, which can lead to slippage and a smoked/glazed clutch); likewise, if you've got it too loose, it'll be hard to get in/out of gears smoothly and it'll catch with the pedal right off the floor. Being that you have a firewall adjuster AND an adjustible cable (totally redundant setup, really), you'll just have to play with it a lot to find the right balance.

With the cable turning with it ... what part are you trying to turn, exactly, that's making the whole cable twist? There should be a nut with a jam nut tightened up against it on the tranny side of the cable - loosen the jam nut first, then back the main nut off until you've got a decent amount of slack. Secure the jam nut tightly against the main nut again (it will work itself loose, otherwise), and take up the leftover slack with the firewall adjuster. Obviously, it's easier to make your adjustments at the firewall than having to crawl underneath the whole car. :D

WORD. :D

I have an adjustable cable with my firewall adjuster and I can make it grab wherever I want it to. Sounds too me like you have it too tight down at the clutch fork. What I do is start by having the firewall adjuster about half way out and halfway in. Tighten the nut down at the clutch fork just to the point where the cable holds a little tension. See how the feel and take the car for a little test drive. If it grabs too low, move the adjuster out, holding the cable from spinning with one hand and turn the adjuster with the other. And if it grabs too high, adjust it in. Hopefully this helps.

these people speak the truth. I have a steeda Quad and an FRPP adj cable and its the BIGGEST P.O.S. i have EVER had on any vehicle in my life. Case in point, 3 weeks ago my clutch started feeling like shi t. It felt all spongy, grabbed almost off the floor and i kept "missing" gears under hard shifts. So i get down there adjust the POS and no more than a week later same s hit. Adjust it again and today i had to adjust it tighter AGAIN. Im so sick and tired of that **** i cant wait to get some money to slap a stocker back in there. Oh and after i adjusted it today i guess i forgot how a clutch should really feel. It was bliss, the pedal was nice and tight, the engagement is right in the middle, and the tranny shifts so smoothly its as if i put a new tranny in there. Thing is, i know in less than a week its gonna go to ****. sorry for the life story but in cliff notes STAY AWAY FROM ADJ CABLES LIKE GRIM DEATH.

Do we know what kind of adjustable cable? I had very good luck with my old Ford adjustable cable. It isnt quite as robust as the non-adjustable piece but certainly did quite well for me.

If you have the option of switching quadrant hooks, that's another means of tailoring the adjustment.

Good luck.

believe me if the car didnt already have the adjustable on it when i bought it i woul;d have never done it but the previous owner had installed and it when i talked to steeda they told me i needed an adjustable cable with the firewall adjustor otherwise i would of got a ford cable. im going to try and mess with it again today but i live in an aprtment so its hard to work on things in the parking lot with no lift or jack.. but thanks for the input guys