Adjustable clutch cable questions

94GTMOOSE

Jun 27, 2005
jersey shore
I have a adjustable clutch cable in my car with a fire wall adjuster. I did a search and could not find a "how to" on adjusting the cable. Its been 2 or so months since i had it installed, and i having a lil trouble getting it in to gear sometimes.

Does anyone have a link to a "how to" or could you guys tell me. Thanks buddies

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same problem. It drives just fine except for the occasional 2nd gear grind and when the car's off, it won't go into the gears unless the clutch is depressed. I got fed up with it and just dealt with it. Idk if there is any one way to do it.

While at the clutch fork, you can pull on the cable and feel the slack.
Adjust the cable till the slack just leaves the cable (it's just taut).
I just use a pinky and pull on the cable sideways to note slack.
Once you're under there, it'll make more sense.

Good luck.

hopefully it does make more sense. question though? how do i tighten the adjuster if its on the firewall and i am on the ground under the car. is this a two person job? I am really trying to avoid asking my brother for help because he stressed the fact i should of bought a OEM ford cable with no adjustment. He's the know it all big brother type and I'm not looking foward to hearing "i told you so."

You have redundancy. I would forget about the FWA for now and just adjust your cable at the clutch fork. If you need more means of adjustment, then use the FWA.

If you find that you do need another cable down the line, the best cable for our cars is the MM cable IMHO. The extra length is nice.

so why do i have a FWA then?

Good question. If you had a stock cable before, that would be why. Otherwise, most folks dial in the crude adjustment at the fork and then use the FWA to fine-tune the set-up.

I used to use a Ford adjustable cable (which I liked) and it never required adjustment. My FWA's always loosen up - I dont like 'em. I haven't used the clicker style though.