Adjustable Clutch Cable

88GThatchback

Founding Member
Jul 8, 2002
Livermore, CA
Im getting a new quadrant and firewall adjuster soon and was wondering if the adjustable clutch cables are really that bad. Some say they suck and others say there fine. I was looking at the UPR heavy duty adj. cable. Also is there a difference between the UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster and the Steeda one?

Thanks,
Clay G.

• Sponsors (?)

I have the steeda setup and I love it. Just make sure you put gasket sealer on it so it doesnt spin. Your can adjust the clutch more to where you want it. Its a lot better than the stock setup.

the concensus seems to be that the oem cable is best. and since youre going with a FWA, why not just use a stocker. i have some crappy adjustable cable and it sucks. just my two cents worth.

I purchased the Steeda quadrant, firewall adjuster and cable after my stocker broke. I have over 30,000 miles or so on it and haven't had any problems. Like 50Dreamer said, just put some teflon tape on the firewall adjuster to make sure it doesn't spin.

fred

Last year I got the FMS quadrant and adjustable cable. I have not put very many miles on it but so far it has worked great. Much better than that stock piece of sh#t. I was told that the cables used to be made in Mexico and that the used to break due to the lower grade iron/steel braids used in the cables. This could be just :bs: though.

HISSIN50 said:
the concensus seems to be that the oem cable is best. and since youre going with a FWA, why not just use a stocker. i have some crappy adjustable cable and it sucks. just my two cents worth.
I thought a firewall adjuster only works with ADJUSTABLE cables, but I could be wrong. I have a BBK adjustable cable w/ an aluminum double hook quadrant and it works well....i'd have gotten a firewall adjuster too if I could do it over, which I could get one now, but the clutch is already adjusted

TheUser said:
I thought a firewall adjuster only works with ADJUSTABLE cables, but I could be wrong. I have a BBK adjustable cable w/ an aluminum double hook quadrant and it works well....i'd have gotten a firewall adjuster too if I could do it over, which I could get one now, but the clutch is already adjusted
nah, you just remove the rubber grommet on the stock cable and stick the FWA on. :)

After installing my king cobra clutch with a UPR firewall adjuster I was unable to get my OEM clutch cable on again. Seemed very short? So i had to use my BBK adjustable cable which is alot longer.. I wish i could have used the stock cable but it wouldnt reach.. dont know why?

I got the steeda setup two weeks ago and so far so good, but like everyone says you have to put something on the threads of the FWA to keep it from vibrating. I used Nissan (since I work at a Nissan dealer) RTV Red Silicone (just a drop!) to keep my adjuster in place.

Asha'man, good thinking. that never dawned on me, although id be amazed if Blk91 still had the stock quadrant, judgin by his mods.