Adjusting fan belt.

65shlbycln

Founding Member
Aug 24, 2002
Atlanta
Can i get this belt tight enough just by pulling up on the alternator, or do i need a crowbar or something similar to kind of pry it up? And how much slack should i have once its tight? I get like a centimeter of play each way now when i pull it up or down, which is probably where some of my squeaking noise is coming from.

• Sponsors (?)

You do need to pry it a bit, the size of the alt makes for a pretty short lever. A centimeter isn't bad, but make sure it isn't slapping back and forth on the low side of the belt at rpm with all the accesories on. That really shortens the life of the belt. Remember, it has to be tight enough to turn the alt, water pump and fan.

Is this an old or new belt? If the t ension is okay, and it's squeaking, try rubbing some dry bar soap on the belt while the engine is idling, BUT BE VERY CAREFUL, DON'T PRESS ON THE BELT TOO HARD AND KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF THE WAY OF THE ACCESSORIES AND FAN!!!!!!!! If the belt is worn the soap will help reduce or get rid of the squeaking, but you should replace the belt if this is the problem, it's only a temporary fix.

65shlbycln said:
Can i get this belt tight enough just by pulling up on the alternator, or do i need a crowbar or something similar to kind of pry it up? And how much slack should i have once its tight? I get like a centimeter of play each way now when i pull it up or down, which is probably where some of my squeaking noise is coming from.

I'm able to adjust mine by loosening it jsut enough to move the alternatorand pulling on it as hard as I can while tightening it. I'm also a pretty strong guy though, so ymmv and you may want to get a helper to tighten it so you can get both hands on the alternator.