Advice On Engine Swaps

OldOval

Jul 16, 2007
Angier,NC
Hello Everyone!!
I have a 66 Stang with a 289,Manual trans,all completely stock.
Just looking to help the old car in the power department,and then move on to all the other items such as suspension and everything else.
I guess the biggest question is Save the 289 and put it to the side,Or build the 289?
If saving the 289 is the answer,What would be a good motor choice for the 300 horse range?
Thank's

• Sponsors (?)

300hp from a 289 is easy. build the 289 with a set of windsor jr heads, a 270h magnum cam from comp cams, use flattop pistons, an edelbrock performer rpm intake with a 600cfm carb, i like the edelbrock performer carb, and a set of tri-y headers with a 1 5/8" primary tube. use a duraspark distributor, and wire it to a duraspark, or a chrysler ignition box, and you are good to go with 300+ hp. not only will this engine be powerful, it will have a solid street torque curve, pull to 6000rpm, and still turn in decent fuel economy, if you can keep your foot out of the throttle.

300hp from a 289 is easy. build the 289 with a set of windsor jr heads, a 270h magnum cam from comp cams, use flattop pistons, an edelbrock performer rpm intake with a 600cfm carb, i like the edelbrock performer carb, and a set of tri-y headers with a 1 5/8" primary tube. use a duraspark distributor, and wire it to a duraspark, or a chrysler ignition box, and you are good to go with 300+ hp. not only will this engine be powerful, it will have a solid street torque curve, pull to 6000rpm, and still turn in decent fuel economy, if you can keep your foot out of the throttle.
Sounds like some good advice.
I appreciate the help.I need all I can get before I start shelling out the money!!
I want to keep the manual trans,and I would imagine doing a few things clutch wise and a few other things it should hold up to that kind of power,I hope!!
Thanks for the help.