Advice Please

92flatblacknotch

Feb 7, 2013
My 92 notch just blew up yesterday just looking for advice never did build from scratch im in college so im not doing it myself what do you guys think the best idea is. I need new motor and want to put a t5 in its auto now. Should I rebuild old motor thas in it now or start fresh any advice is welcomed.

• Sponsors (?)

Blew up how? If the block is bad then I'd just pick up a short block off craigslist or a junk yard and transfer over the salvageable parts from the old engine and do any mods while it's being reassembled. As far as a T5 conversion, check out the swap threads to see what's involved so you can make an informed decision with cost and what skill level is required.

"build from scratch" = full restoration? or are you just trying to put an engine in it and a T-5 swap.
Running engines are out there for $500 - $600. T-5's can be had from $250 - $600 for stock WC models. It will likely cost you another $500 for the conversion parts. If you want to get everything fresh and rebuilt then you better be coming with $3500-$4500.

that's what I am still trying to decide I use it as my daily driver so I need it to be reliable but if im going to rebuild it and dump money into it I rather do it right the first time and make it what I want but ill end up putting to much in it im trying to find a happy medium.

Since it's your daily driver, i'll assume you need it quickly.
If your budget isn't unlimited, i'd suggest an explorer gt40p engine as a replacement.
Change the valve springs, add a cam, swap accessories and literally it can be done in a few days for under a grand.

Building or having an engine built is expensive and time consuming.

Most explorer engines haven't been beat to death like fox 5.0's, get it up and running as is, then when you have funding available add aluminum heads.