Advice wanted please on runnin synthetic oil.....

nmcgrawj

Advanced Member
Sep 28, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Whats up guys? I just got my rear main seal fixed(wasn't leaking that i know of, i just got a spec 1 put in so i did it any way). Anyway, my question is do u think that it is safe to start running synthetic? The outside of the engine doesn't have built of oil in any places i can see......

So what do ya think? Stay with something like Valv. MaxLife (car has 80k miles) or start running some royal purple?

THANKS GUYS

• Sponsors (?)

Synthetics are slicker than standard oils, which makes more prone to get past old/worn rings and seals. I don't think your car even needs that high mileage stuff yet, wait till 100k. 5.0's run forever no matter what you put in them.

Joe

High mileage motor oils are for cars that are mildly leaking... i.e. not yours. I would go with Mobil 1 synthetic. IMHO it is one of the better oil deals on the market. It performs near Redline, Amsoil, and the like, being a true group IV, instead of a highly refined dino oil like the Group III Valvoline, QS, and Castrol, and you can get it at any auto parts store for about half the price of the others to boot.

I know, I know, you don't believe the guy with the old Volvo. Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com, and read some of the threads there. Those guys are very concerned about their oils' performance. There is also a good article which summarizes the benefits of synthetics on www.grassrootsmotorsports.com. It's in their tech topics section, titled Oil: Secrets of synthetic lubricants.

-Steve

Edited to fix link

I use amsoil and will never go back to mobile one, but i can say i started with syn at 60ish k i now have 82k and no leaks the only only my car leaked on was Redline 10w30 but i put a new rearmain seal in and no leaks since on Amsoil