advice

Cobain03

Aug 27, 2003
Lexington, Ky
im in the process of taking my engine out to rebuild it and had a friend of my fathers come up saying that he has another 289 that he would sell me for 300 bucks. It was pulled because he went with a 302 and the 289 is still good. i do not know the year of the 289 so my question is, are all 289s the same (minus the hi-po)? if some had better heads for say, i could switch them out, and maybe part or sell the motor.

any suggestions are welcome!

• Sponsors (?)

about the only difference between 289's over the years si the switch to 6 bolt bellhousings in mid 1965. other than that all 289 heads are the same port and valve wise. the hipo's had screw in studs and cast in valve spring seats.

How long has it been sitting? I'd be a little leery of the situation based on what little info you've given. Switch out an engine to gain 13 cubic inches? You wouldn't even notice it if it were stock for stock. Now if he were replacing it with something more powerful, that's a different story.

If nothing else, pulling your engine to build and putting this one in while your doing that would still give you the ability to drive your car and you could possibly spend a bit more time and money making your engine more like you want it. You could likely turn around and sell the temporary 289 later for what you'd have in it, maybe a bit more.