Aerodynamic experts, SN95 vs Fox Body, which goes through the wind the easiest?

Speeds8erM-1

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2000
Pensacola Florida
People always compare the two, saying the fox body is lighter and such but what about this, which is actually more aerodynamic? There were several different models of the fox bodys, so lets say, an SN95 vs a Foxbody GT or a Notchback. The notchback is supposed to be less aerodynamic than an LX Hatchback, Im not sure if the GT's hatchback design would overcome the rear bumper that hangs down and the ground effects on the front.

All else being equal, only aerodynamics coming into play, which one would move away from the other at higher speeds?

• Sponsors (?)

I am sure the sn-95 is more aero as the fox dates back to the mid-early 80's when aerodynamics were in thier infancy.

I would say that this plays a role at any speed. Especially at legal highway speeds and above.

The difference between a 87-93 fox body mustang to an sn95 mustang is not as big as you think. Yes the sn95 is more aerodynamic but not by much. Main reason is because the front of our car has that opening while the fox body mustang has the hood sloping down.

I cant quite recall the exact location where i read this information from but the article I was reading it from had to do with the FR500 and they mentioned this lil tid bit.

i personnaly think that cd goes out the window at higher speeds(just add more power) as the main concern then is keeping the damn thing planted. as far as that goes i think they are all reasonable close, meaning not very good. look at what they had to do to the 00 r model. back on topic, the sn cars have an increased frontal area which directly affects cd, so imo the sn's would have a higher cd than a fox.

94-302-vert said:
I am sure the sn-95 is more aero as the fox dates back to the mid-early 80's when aerodynamics were in thier infancy.

So the previous 60 years of aviation development and European automobile racing didn't count for anything? How did we ever get to the moon in '69 if aerodynamics were in their infancy in the '80s? The fox body style is more due to the culture of the time instead of the development of aerodynamics.

Engel said:
Somone here had a ford history book, and claimed this in the earlier post. Hopefully he can chime in :D
I think that would be me :D
94-98 .34cd wingless*
94-98 .36cd GT*
99-04 .33cd(dunno if that's with or w/o wing)
05 .43cd
You didn't ask but someone did...
87 .40cd notchback*
87 .36cd LX hatch*
87 .38cd GT *

* denotes numbers from a book I have, the others are from the 'net and subject to being incorrect

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=531361