Aeromotive A1000 Pump Failure

95Vert383AOD

15 Year Member
Jun 10, 2008
New Bedford, MA
So im at a gas station (of all places) and my Aeromotive pump fails!!! Click the ignition forwards and nothing. So i go to the trunk and override the ignition so the pump gets 12v STILL NOTHING!!!! With the pump directly wired i tap the pump with a tire iron. It runs strong for about 5 seconds then slowly dies again....

I was able to get the car to run and idle....the fuel pressure read at about 32psi at idle....(normally it reads about 40 as i had set it) I go to adjust the pressure up and the car dies.....Finally i had it towed back to my house.

Fuel system was set up a year ago text book style like Aeromotive suggests with the correct filter before and after the pump.

What are my options here??? Rebuild kit? Better pump?
Has anyone ever had this happen to them???
How is Aeromotive about repairs?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

i haven't heard of anyone having issues with their pump but i did have an aeromotive FPR go bad on me. i just bought a new one. i would try calling them up first and wee what they will do for you. have the receipt for the purchase?

Some feel you need a controller if they are driven on the street, but you probably need to check with aero. You can always run a weldon. I am running a dual walbro set up and it seems to be doing well, but it's only a few months old.

Ok i found the invoice. 6/30/2008. Ill try calling Aeromotive tomorrow. Its just inside of a year old. :nonono:

Update...i believe Aeromotive Has a 1 year warranty....Thats what all the distributors seem to be advertising. So i need to call them quick because 1 year is in about 3 weeks.

OK so i sent the pump and controller out Monday of last week. I call today and not only did they say they replaced the Pump.....they also Replaced the controller and shipped it back on Friday!!! Pretty fast service with Aeromotive. I'm assuming that when the controller failed and i ran the pump directly it prob. caused the pump to overheat......OOPS.

I think im going to use a stacked plate transmission cooler as a fuel cooler. Fuel temps were a lil too warm on the return.

Anyone have any other ideas for keeping Fuel Temps down???

Chris

And this is why I've been reluctant to run an A1000. I read recently that they have all new electric motors in them and that they are actually rated higher now than they used to be. I read that the new A1000 flows the same as the old eliminator pump did. I need a new fuel system and the thought of an A1000 failing on me, as I've read many times before from other users, makes me shy of running one. The thought of running twin 255's doesn't thrill me either as that the more parts that are involved, the greater the chance of failure IMO.

And this is why I've been reluctant to run an A1000. I read recently that they have all new electric motors in them and that they are actually rated higher now than they used to be. I read that the new A1000 flows the same as the old eliminator pump did. I need a new fuel system and the thought of an A1000 failing on me, as I've read many times before from other users, makes me shy of running one. The thought of running twin 255's doesn't thrill me either as that the more parts that are involved, the greater the chance of failure IMO.

Well in my opinion the A1000 is fine...Heres whats needed to make it work properly.

1. You MUST use a functioning pump controller.

2. Add a cooler to the return line like i'm about to do.

I think these pumps fail due to excessive heat. At this point during normal driving i probably am cycling more fuel threw the return line than whats being consumed by the engine. So after about 30-45 min of driving with less than 1/2 tank of gas the fuel starts warming up. (Fuel sump was warm/hot to the touch)

I feel that slowing the pump down with a controller doesn't fix the problem. The pump and the lines under the hood = Hott return line.

So right now im just trying to figure out wheres the best place to mount a fuel cooler... Lincoln Mark 8's have a factory Fuel cooler mounted under the trunk. But my gas tank is there. Behind the rear bumper or behind the grill area are 2 locations that scare me.

I'm tempted to get a temp sensor to monitor fuel temps.

Chris

Update

Got the pump and Controller in today. Installed them in about 20 Min. So far so good.:nice:

I still plan on adding a cooler to the fuel system. but as of now its functioning like its supposed to. :nice:

If anything arises ill be sure to let you guys know.

Chris