Aerospace Brake Kits

Old Skooler

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2012
A buddy of mine wants to sell me the 4 lug aerospace 4 piston front brake kit and the drag kit for the rear, still in the box $500 total never used. Great deal and saves me the money of upgrading to 5 lug and new rims....for now!!

Has anyone installed these kits are they really just bolt on and could I use my e brake?

The bigger question is the rear kit says drag race use only, my car sees maybe 3k miles a year and is never on the track, will these be an issue on the street?

• Sponsors (?)

A buddy of mine wants to sell me the 4 lug aerospace 4 piston front brake kit and the drag kit for the rear, still in the box $500 total never used. Great deal and saves me the money of upgrading to 5 lug and new rims....for now!!

Has anyone installed these kits are they really just bolt on and could I use my e brake?

The bigger question is the rear kit says drag race use only, my car sees maybe 3k miles a year and is never on the track, will these be an issue on the street?

More than likely, the entire kit is labeled "for drag race only" and is rated for a lightweight car. It's not a investment I would recommend, for these reasons:
The Aerospace 4 piston calipers push the front tires waaaaay out, and unless you are running anything wider than a 4" wheel,...you'll have a really dumb looking front track width, ( they look stupid w/ 4 " wheels as well) as well as fender clearance issues, The front rotors are probably like a 3/8" thick solid ring, that bolts to an aluminum hub "hat". They are intended to stop a car one time, after an 1/8th or 1/4 mile trip. What they are NOT designed to do is slow, and stop a car repeatedly driven on the street. They'll probably warp within a week of driving. Given that 70-80% of your cars braking is reliant on the front brakes, not the safest thing you could do. In comparison, you'd be better off w/ stock 4 cyl 10 inchers.
The rears are not equipped for E brakes as that is not the design intention of a drag race setup, weight reduction is.
So,...not only will you have a fairly dangerous braking system in it's normal capacity,....you'll have no way to stop the car should something fail to do it's job as well.

What he said.

They are designed to make 1 stop....at the end of the 1/4 mile. They feature lightweight rotors to save rotational weight

Take them on a street and perform a few stops and they will heat up, and not work well. They don't have the mass to be good street brakes.

I run an Aerospace Street Kit. It's definitely not bolt on. It requires cutting and drilling. I think they are kind of cheaply put together. For $500, it's kind of hard to pass up. Is this a street kit for the front?

Kurt

It was the street kit for the front, thanks for the input Mike sounds like I should pass on this. I did here about the brake system pushing the front out about 3/4 of an inch.

Sounds like I'm back to the 5 lug conversion and new rims.

I didn't care for the quality of my Aerospace kit. That being said, the Strange Engineering stuff isn't any better. If you are building a drag car, or a street strip car, you are pretty limited on brake choices. You are going to end up with either a Strange kit, or an Aerospace kit. I ended up with the Aerospace street kit. Granted it was the 5 lug kit. I can tell you that it does stop the car just fine on the street. It does look nice, and it does fit with a Weld wheel with a 1/2" spacer which is included in the kit.

Kurt

You could do the street kit up front, and then leave the drums out back or swap to an OEM rear disk setup.

I didn't realize the fronts were street. Thought the entire setup was drag.