Aerostar Aluminum Driveshaft Install

saully

Aug 2, 2014
Just installed an aluminum driveshaft in my fox from a 92 aerostar with electric awd. Swap was easy just swapped yokes from the steel mustang shaft to the aerostar one. Stock mustang u joints fot perfectly, nothin special required.

Attachments

• 20140802_113103.jpg
    20140802_113103.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 677
  • 20140802_113000.jpg
    20140802_113000.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 352
  • Sponsors (?)

The AeroStar isn't the same as the Ford Racing Aluminum driveshaft.

This driveshaft is not an exact duplicate of the Ford Racing part. It is 3” in diameter while the Ford Racing part is 3.5” in diameter. There is no guarantee that the balance will be any better than the stock part.

Use a piece of string and wrap it around the driveshaft. Make a mark on the string where the ends overlap. Measure the length of the string:
On the 3" AeroStar driveshaft the string will be 9.42" or about 9 7/16" long.
On the Ford Racing 3.5" driveshaft the string will be 10.99" or about 11" long

Yeah i read a forum on that before i got it. The whole 3.5"/3" diameter was taken into consideration. For 20 bucks though i think it was worth a try. If anything its a learning expierience, ill try anything on my cars just because i can. Why not?

Don't you just love being a guinea pig or lab rat? :rlaugh:

Oh hell yeah! Ive tried tons of different mods on all the cars ive had. Some things work, some things dont, but what the hell, its part of the hobby. I really enjoy parts swaps like this though. If it doesnt work out ill just swap it back.

I usually use a marker or paint a line lengthwise down aluminum driveshafts and check them periodically for twist. I'd do the especially with the smaller aerostar one as it was designed for less hp.

I usually use a marker or paint a line lengthwise down aluminum driveshafts and check them periodically for twist. I'd do the especially with the smaller aerostar one as it was designed for less hp.

Thats a good idea. I do agree though, i worry about twist, especially if im doin burnouts at the strip. Ill put it to the test, if it fails ill upgrade to a ford racing unit. For now, im more curious to see how it holds up.

Wanted to let you guys know that the swap was a success, no vibration or other driveline issues. Maybe its me (or the heads/headers I installed) but it feels pretty peppy from a stop

Hey Saully, you definitely used the stock Mustang u-joints? I'm thinking about doing the same swap, but I've found dozens of threads out there that say you have to use a "hybrid" 1310/1330 u-joint.

Thanks! Carl

Yeah im not sure about the ujoint i have read about on other posts or sites. I used the mustang yolk and attached it to the aerostar driveshaft. I had purchased the "hybrid" ujoint for the project but there was no way it could be used and in the end there was no reason to use it. Got 2 stock style mustang ujoints and pressed it together without an issue, perfect fit. Maybe its dependant on year or something but there was no way the recommended ujoint would work. Stock size were perfect fit, no vibes (even upwards of 100) and no issues thus far.

Yeah im not sure about the ujoint i have read about on other posts or sites. I used the mustang yolk and attached it to the aerostar driveshaft. I had purchased the "hybrid" ujoint for the project but there was no way it could be used and in the end there was no reason to use it. Got 2 stock style mustang ujoints and pressed it together without an issue, perfect fit. Maybe its dependant on year or something but there was no way the recommended ujoint would work. Stock size were perfect fit, no vibes (even upwards of 100) and no issues thus far.

Are you running a T-5 or an AOD?

HiYa saully. I am a new guy here and this post made me become a member because I was interested in this swap. So... how did this driveshaft swap workout? Are you still running it? I ask because this is what I might do to my 90 GT if it works.