Fox Aew, Debra Sanchez's 83 Convertible

getrdone

Apr 20, 2014
Hello everyone! I am new to the 5.0 scene. I have been out of the street scene for almost 20 years building desert cars. I have acquired a 83 convertible that was built by Mark Sanchez from Advanced Engineering West for his wife Debra. I am working to get it back on the road after having its nose wiped off more than once. Luckily the steel bumper had been removed for weight and no frame damage. Mostly cosmetic. It had been converted to an Aero front and I am now converting back to a 4 eye. Many questions to come and appreciate any help and suggestions. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03725cbc5406647895ee1dfd46058178.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

How she sits today
9e4ff683397670b6ee402f44af973a2e.jpg
e2f4a6974c5e97d3c2710562d3cfbd02.jpg

Was able to find a LX four eye from a 85. I will probably buy a new GT one. Unable to find a decent 83.

Reactions: 2 users
First priority is to weld in the new core support. Previous owner bolted it in. Replace fuel lines and clean up crimped wiring connectors.
Inspect wiring for shorts.
Replace / upgrade alternator
Repair or replace broken tilt column.
Replace or re-weld roll bar.

First priority is to weld in the new core support. Previous owner bolted it in. Replace fuel lines and clean up crimped wiring connectors.
Inspect wiring for shorts.
Replace / upgrade alternator
Repair or replace broken tilt column.
Replace or re-weld roll bar.

Looks like a great starting platform. Glad to see you converting it back over to something a little more un-common (4 eye front)

It's a VW thing (at least what's orange)

3.5 Honda Vtec, 20" travel, Quadruple bypass', 300HP. Street legal-ish.
c3238c1190eacdd23060d2d468881575.jpg

ea1327e992b30d40222494982de10048.jpg

Attachments

• bd9c07b297ec7c516b91215a3aa8657d.jpg
    bd9c07b297ec7c516b91215a3aa8657d.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 478096aef8c60ed98a9291f24703e30a.jpg
    478096aef8c60ed98a9291f24703e30a.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm hoping the stang is not quite so expensive. I know I can still drop a lot of money, but hopefully not like the thing.

I'm hoping the stang is not quite so expensive. I know I can still drop a lot of money, but hopefully not like the thing.

I seriously doubt it but most toys tend to be bottomless money pits that are never really "done" or need to be fixed often from the abuse we put them through.

What are your goals for the 83'?

Interesting project, are you returning it to how it was in the magazine, stock or putting your own spin on it?

The front and sides look like they might be saleen parts, if so (i'm not 100%), they will probably be hard to come by, especially the front valence.

I have the sides, which are now painted, however I like the clean look without them. I would like to restore, but I think I'll change the color and use the 85-86 GT front bumper.
My gut says just get it running, but I'll probably end up building all new front and rear suspension along with a new 4130 front member.
I'll look at a cage, but the top is going to make it difficult.
I need to get it up on stands and see what the vert has for structural integrity. It has frame connectors on it now, but I'm not sure on how functional it all is.
Being so new to a Fox body I have a lot of investigating to do.

I have the sides, which are now painted, however I like the clean look without them. I would like to restore, but I think I'll change the color and use the 85-86 GT front bumper.
My gut says just get it running, but I'll probably end up building all new front and rear suspension along with a new 4130 front member.
I'll look at a cage, but the top is going to make it difficult.
I need to get it up on stands and see what the vert has for structural integrity. It has frame connectors on it now, but I'm not sure on how functional it all is.
Being so new to a Fox body I have a lot of investigating to do.

The fact that the magazine article brags about the beatings this car incurred you may be in for a let down once the underside of the car is inspected. Good luck.

One major decision is in regards to smog. Do I make an attempt to be legal? Or is this engine going to be impossible. I've been out of the engine building for so long and have been spoiled with turnkey engines.
She is missing cats and smog pump. The pulley is still there and I can add injector tubes to the long headers.
The car has a legit 91 swap so the blower has a CARB# for it. It has a Jacobs coil, MSD, boost and timing control. I haven't exposed the computer yet, so no idea what it has.

The fact that the magazine article brags about the beatings this car incurred you may be in for a let down once the underside of the car is inspected. Good luck.

True, since I don't see the roll bar in the car then. Not sure if the frame connectors were in back then either. My temptation is to pull the motor to do the sheet metal at which time I could put it on the jig table to check it. I have built full frame Camaro's before and would consider a redo front front to rear.

Me personally, get an '83-'84 bumper.

I have an '86 GT, and i like the bumper on it, but my latest project is an '83 t-top coupe and i just finished the bumper. It's a PITA, but you only have to do one front bumper. Maybe it's a right of passage having to sand that damn grill area:shrug:.

What a neat project though. If you're concerned about what it'll be worth, i would go as close to the Sanchez original as i could.

Good luck brother, i'll be watching this one!:nice:

One major decision is in regards to smog. Do I make an attempt to be legal? Or is this engine going to be impossible. I've been out of the engine building for so long and have been spoiled with turnkey engines.
She is missing cats and smog pump. The pulley is still there and I can add injector tubes to the long headers.
The car has a legit 91 swap so the blower has a CARB# for it. It has a Jacobs coil, MSD, boost and timing control. I haven't exposed the computer yet, so no idea what it has.

Will the car need to pass emissions where you are? Where do you live? I'd leave the smog pump stuff alone and maybe just get aftermarket high flow cats. I have a smog pump if you want one but tossed my thermactor valves in the trash