AFPR install help

slowhatch82

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2002
NJ Pine Barrens
just a quick walkthrough would be great, its an 88, fuel pressure drops to 0 after i turn it off so i wont hvae to worry about any pressure being in the system! just anything that needs to be disconnected..ect..

its a steeda AFPR...bought it new, out of the box from a friend so i have no instructions or anything...tell me alittle about it if you can...

thanks, much appreciated... :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Fuel pressure shouldn't drop so quickly. It takes mine more than a day to go back to 0, maby a new regulator will solve that. There are just three allan headed screws that keep the regulator in place. Just dissconect vaccume line, take out the screws and then pull it off, put the new one on and retighten the screws and then start the car, check for leaks, then hook up the fuel pressure gauge and set the pressure and then rehook the vaccume line.

Easier said than done, those screws are a PITA to get to.

haha, well hopfully it wont be to bad, doesnt sound to hard, i swapped the heads in my 82 by myself, i should be able to pull it off! problem is adjusting the fuel pressure...my friend broke his gauge, i gotta find another one...

You don't have to take the rail off, but you will have to pull the upper intake. Make sure you cover with intake ports clean rags or paper towels so you don't drop anything in there....

I removed one bolt on the rail from the intake, so i could get a little more room in the area of the FPR. use a small allen wrench, I think the size is 5/16". The 2 outside screws are easy to get, it's the one thats closest to the intake thats a pain and takes a while to get out....If you pull out the rail enough to make some of the injectors come out, then make sure they have good o-rings and that they go back in the intake when you put it all back together.... Set the pressure with the vacuum off.

If your still losing pressure quickly after the engine has shut off then there is a leak somewhere....the fuel pump has ntohing to do with it if you have a stock engine there is no reason to upgrade the fuel pump, yet....

i was readin the fuel pressure gauge, and when i give it some gas real quick, it drops, and then slowly goes back up...mechanic said change the fuel pump...its the original pump...152k...

where would it be leaking at? i never see/smell gas or anything

thanks