AFR 165 heads

amplifier28

Apr 16, 2005
I have a 1988 Mustang GT hatchback. I currently have installed a Cobra intake, BBK 70mm throttle body, MAC 1 5/8" shorty headers, C&L 73mm mass air sensor, Flowmaster 2 1/2" two chamber mufflers. I plan to purchase an UPR off-road X-pipe. I will probably buy a Ford racing E-303 camshaft or just stay with the stock camshaft. I am going to buy AFR 165 heads. I believe there are a couple varieties of 165 heads. Which should I consider?

• Sponsors (?)

I read somewhere that the AFR 165 heads work well with the stock camshaft. Which camshaft will work well with the AFR 165 heads? I want a nice idle which is not so rough and it must be streetable. By the way my car has an automatic transmission which will be rebuilt or swapped for an aftermarket PA racing automatic transmission or Lentech automatic transmission.

Go with the 58cc AFR 165's stud-mounted emission legal heads. They come ready to bolt-on. They will come with guideplates. I personally would upgrade your studs from the "stock" 3/8" to 7/16".

If you want an OTS cam, the Trickflow Stage 1 is nice and has good qualities. The E-cam isn't bad...

Ever considered a custom cam? A bit more but worth it in my opinion for another $100-150.

Good Luck!

So I guess I will go with 165 with 58cc heads with a stage 1 TFS cam. Will I have to upgrade my stock injectors? If so, to 24 pound or 30 pound injectors? I currently have the stock mass air meter installed but have a C&L 76mm mass air meter calibrated to 19 pound stock injectors.

A lot of guys port their Cobra intake (lower) or go to a higher flow intake when they put AFR165's on.The 165's flow about 240cfm while the Cobra unported flows about 210cfm.Tmoss does Cobra porting.Yes,24 lb. injectors would be a good idea,no need to go to 30lb.

run crane's 444221 2021 cam.. .533/.544 lift 270*/280* duration.. it is MEAN and will wake that car up unbelievably.. i run a typhoon (exact same as a edelbrock) intake.. that cam.. stock ported E7's.. 265 horse.. that cam made that motor

amplifier28 said:
What is a average cost for having a porting job done on a Cobra intake (lower) to match the AFR 165 68cc heads?

I think my friend paid $150 or so to have his rpm lower ported a little by Tmoss.

With a stock aod and no mention of a converter or gears, a tfs stage 1 is NOT for you. I would go custom.

I am planning of rebuilding my stock tranny or purchase a Performance Automatic Streeter model PA53101 and a Edge 3000 stall torque converter. I also have 4.10 ring and pinion gears already installed. By the way, who is Tmoss?

amplifier28 said:
I am planning of rebuilding my stock tranny or purchase a Performance Automatic Streeter model PA53101 and a Edge 3000 stall torque converter. I also have 4.10 ring and pinion gears already installed. By the way, who is Tmoss?
Go here www.tmossporting.com Nice person to deal with, really knows his stuff, reasonable prices.