AFR 165 heads

• Sponsors (?)

I don't see the point in porting a cobra intake, just sell it and buy an rpm intake or equivalent.
And the E and Stage 1aren't all that different. They may not make the most power, but if the car is a DD they will keep it very driveable and likely pass inspection.
If you were to use that cam chevy eater suggested above, i'd plan on a bit of driveablity issues, such as no low end power.

2000xp8 said:
I don't see the point in porting a cobra intake, just sell it and buy an rpm intake or equivalent.

I've had customers who had friends that thought like that - in one example on an AFR 165 car they told him to ditch that ported explorer for an RPMII for more power. He lost torque and power all across the rpm band and pulled the RPM and put the Explorer back on. You can't make blanket statements like that - they don't universally apply.

Tom, not really much of a blanket statement, and switching from an explorer to an RPM II is quite a jump, and loss of torque could be expected.

He is saying he'll use afr 165s and an E or stage 1 cam, that isn't any race car, and likely the use of the rpm II which is definetely for higher rpm would be too much.

It's not only about the power, it's also about the value of the intake. A used rpm with likely always be worth the same, you put my into a cobra, and you won't ever get it out, probably even devalue it even more. So why make due when you can sell the cobra, and get a better intake used rpm for the same.

I was going to use the rpm II on my current setup, and BD told me i was out of my mind.

2000xp8 said:

I'll second the part about not porting the Cobra. Read this article:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/12/efiintake/index.shtml

Although the gains in the quarter were not spectacular, it is an example of why not to spend huge money porting a cobra intake when a portmatched Typhoon is at least as good. And at about $350 shipped, cant beat the bargain.

2000xp8 said:
It's not only about the power, it's also about the value of the intake. A used rpm with likely always be worth the same, you put my into a cobra, and you won't ever get it out, probably even devalue it even more. So why make due when you can sell the cobra, and get a better intake used rpm for the same.

Stupid me,

in the case above the guy ran an E cam, AFR 165 heads and paid $150 for porting his Explorer including mailing costs and the intake kicked the RPMII's butt all across the rpm band - not just the low-mid. So, he had the same money in his intake as a used RPMI would have cost and $200+ less than an RPMII would cost.

I guess I just don't see things right...............

tmoss said:
Stupid me,

in the case above the guy ran an E cam, AFR 165 heads and paid $150 for porting his Explorer including mailing costs and the intake kicked the RPMII's butt all across the rpm band - not just the low-mid. So, he had the same money in his intake as a used RPMI would have cost and $200+ less than an RPMII would cost.

I guess I just don't see things right...............

Tom, i kinda lost you here, are you being sarcastic?
I'm not trying to start an argument with you.

The guy already has a cobra, which is valued what at around $250-$300? I just don't see the point in investing $150 more in it. When it can be sold on ebay and an intake that flows better straight from the box can be purchased with the money. And needs no real porting.

And i'm well aware what the rpm II goes for, and also aware that it works better on supercharged, turbo or larger displacement engines.

2000xp8 said:
The guy already has a cobra, which is valued what at around $250-$300? I just don't see the point in investing $150 more in it. When it can be sold on ebay and an intake that flows better straight from the box can be purchased with the money. And needs no real porting.

That very well could make less power - good move?

Depends on the needs of the combo doesn't it..............one size does not fit all...........

I'll tell you what cam not to get, if you want to stay streetable that is. Look at my set up in my sig. It barely idles, dies sometimes and runs jerky as all He__ below 2,000 rpm. I totally love it at high rpms, but it's not very streetable anymore and that sucks...

You'll love the AFR 165's though, totally awesome heads! As for the rest, I'm not sure what to recommend but I'm a good example of what NOT to do.

I'll change my cam again this summer to something with some more street to it.

tmoss said:
That very well could make less power - good move?

Depends on the needs of the combo doesn't it..............one size does not fit all...........

It could also very well make more power.
I doubt an rpm intake is too much for an afr combo.

No ones giving the thought here that maybe the guy just likes his Cobra intake. I was in the same boat. Sure, I could have bought a new intake rather than porting. But for the little $$$ involved to have TMOSS do an incredible job porting my Cobra, why would I have switched?

Now, another thing we do not have an answer to is this guy's future goals for the car. If he want's a nice DD type of car, keep the Cobra and have it ported.

If he wants a 1/4 mile killer, buy a Holley Systemax or RPMII and get a custom cam.

I want my car to ride like a daily driver but also to have good launches. My car is not a daily driver and is only a weekend cruiser. Like I said before, I want it to have good launches. I am already going to upgrade the transmission by buying a TCI streetfighter transmission with their streetfighter 3000 stall torque converter. Will this be a better start?