AFR 185's vs edelbrock 2.02/1.60 heads

Well i need to pick up a set of heads this week. These are the two im interested in right now..

Summit sells the edelbrocks for 1079 and they always offer the free shipping. I havent checked with ED C yet but im sure the afr185's are over 1350 plus shipping. So there is a bit of a price difference..

Now when it comes to performance, how do they stack up to each other? I remember the rumor going around that edelbrock copied afr's design to a point.. Any truth to that rumor? Any one have any data on the edelbrocks compared to the AFR's.

Im sure the AFR's are a better head, but if i can save 300-400 ill do that without a doubt. But then again, the head i buy id like to keep for a long long time to come. Eventually to go on a dart block setup, maybe ported or something as well.

So lets get some input from the experts :nice:
thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

vic jr

or trick flow track heat

both when ported can go past 300 on the intake side. my vote goes to the vic jr if you have p/v clearance for a 2.05 intake valve. the twisted wedge head has the better clearance in that regards and will have a smaller port size when ported out to 300cfm--better velocity.

i like afr, but you really are limited when you buy one. same with the edel. i know folks will say you can port out an afr head, but unless you have a head porter that knows his stuff then it is pointless to do so and may be counterproductive.

bimmertech said:
vic jr

or trick flow track heat

both when ported can go past 300 on the intake side. my vote goes to the vic jr if you have p/v clearance for a 2.05 intake valve. the twisted wedge head has the better clearance in that regards and will have a smaller port size when ported out to 300cfm--better velocity.

i like afr, but you really are limited when you buy one. same with the edel. i know folks will say you can port out an afr head, but unless you have a head porter that knows his stuff then it is pointless to do so and may be counterproductive.

I suppose i could go with victors, but my concern here is the downpipe of my turbo kit. Its super tight to the firewall as it is, i would be worried that the raised exhaust ports could throw that off, along with the other possible fitment issues. Of course it is only .130 inch so maybe it wouldnt even matter...

Id prefer to stay away from the trickflows..

If i need porting done, ED C is only a short drive from me. But the porting wouldnt be done until next year or maybe even later depending on how long the current engine i have will last (low mile forged 331, got a smoking deal on it).

Any other input?

What is your combo? Is Ed C. doing your cam? I would give him a call and see what he recomends even though you kinda already know which way he is going to lean. I have always been a big fan of the trickflow because of the amount of room they allow you to grow. I have seen some great flow numbers from these heads. But once again flow numbers aren't everything.

Dustin

SuperDust22 said:
What is your combo? Is Ed C. doing your cam? I would give him a call and see what he recomends even though you kinda already know which way he is going to lean. I have always been a big fan of the trickflow because of the amount of room they allow you to grow. I have seen some great flow numbers from these heads. But once again flow numbers aren't everything.

Dustin

Low compression 331, typhoon intake, single turbo t70 and all the bolt ons and what not.

Im not going for an ed cam this time around cause i know i will move up to a dart block eventually and that will require a whole new cam.

Ed is all about the AFR's. I would just rather not spend 1400 or so on heads right now, yea for once im being cheap on a car, figures huh..

The cam i have to use this time around is an F-cam. After all the praise its given on TM.com for being such a great turbo cam im going to give it a shot.

Update though, i may have a set of afr185s lined up for 1050 shipped. They are stud mount with low miles... So hmm if the pics look good on these i may snaatch em up.

well, if you are going to leave the heads the way they come out of the box, i would go with the afr's without any question because of the cnc machining. if you are planning on working the heads, save the money and go with a set of vic jr's or track heat's.

Thanks for all the sugestions guys.

SorsCode said:
I know your not into spending the money in the heads but I'm going with set of Dart Heads on my 408. I've had AFR and will not go back with the issues I had.

Ive had afr165s, and afr 225's in the past and never had one issue with the heads. They always performed great also.

Im going to try to get these used 185's and save afew bucks..