AFR 185's which intake gasket FelPro 1250 or 1262?

VibrantRedGT

"STANGNET'S PENGUIN SMACKER"
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Boca Raton, Florida
I just purchased the 1262 lower intake gaskets because the 185's have the huge intake ports. I should have asked this yesterday. The 1250's look a bit too small. I need to know what people are using before I take the 1262's out of the wrapper.

• Sponsors (?)

Grn92LX said:
Thanks Joe. Do you recall what size pushrods you used with the 185's? What was the combo?
I think they were 6.300 or 6.350....not sure. It was a basic rebuild 310 (0.050 over). I picked up an older 88 HO block for 30 bucks (the guy didn't know what he had), and now that I'm back at school, took it down to the machine shop and screwed around with it. A friend of my cousin needed a new motor and was interested in learning how to build a basic engine so I told him I'd go along with it.

He had a Performer RPM from his old motor and we found a set of 185 heads in the paper for cheap so we scored them. Put in a Comp 220/224 .512/.533 112* cam in 2* retarded with 1.7's on the intake side. He bought a set of Probe pistons (compression is a hair under 10.7:1) and all the other basic chit...bearings/gaskets/bolts/etc.

The car runs pretty good for basic stuff thrown together and a rich tune-up. He's going to get a chip burned when he gets his **** together. I'd be happy to see 330-340 RWHP and shift at/before 6500 RPM. I think it'll do it....

Joe

Yah I believe you are correct, Joe. 1262 it is :cool:

Joes95GT, i'm hoping to see 340-350rwhp with my friends 306. I have no clue on compression. I think its a speed pro or a trw piston. It should run well with the AFM N61 cam (228/236 .544/.568 ) I expect around a 6,500 rpm shift. I wish my friend had a probe piston.

Do you know how to tell a stock style pushrod from a hardened? I need to know if he has to buy new pushrods instead of the ones that are in the engine now. (He bought the engine from his friend and I have no clue if the pushrods are hardened or not)

Grn92LX said:
Yah I believe you are correct, Joe. 1262 it is :cool:

Joes95GT, i'm hoping to see 340-350rwhp with my friends 306. I have no clue on compression. I think its a speed pro or a trw piston. It should run well with the AFM N61 cam (228/236 .544/.568 ) I expect around a 6,500 rpm shift. I wish my friend had a probe piston.

Do you know how to tell a stock style pushrod from a hardened? I need to know if he has to buy new pushrods instead of the ones that are in the engine now. (He bought the engine from his friend and I have no clue if the pushrods are hardened or not)
Christ Mike...that thing should scream. I'm guessing it's going to be shifted a lot higher than 6500 though. Probably 7000.

My exhaust side (which is bigger than my intake side) on my FTI cam isn't as big as the intake side of the AFM cam (Damn, you may have to read that a few times...kinda confusing) and I was shifting around 6300 on the street with a junk tune.

Either way, sounds like a screamer. :nice:

Joe

Oh, and no, I don't know exactly how to tell the difference...

If you have a scale, I'm guessing pushrods of similar length that aren't hardened will be considerably lighter...

Or, you could tap them on a piece of concrete or something and listen to them...if they make a different sound, you know one of them has to be hardened. :D

Joe