After 5+ years...

Zooted_plus

Jan 14, 2003
Dublin, CA
I'm finally getting to work on the stang again. I've been lurking but not posting for the last 5 to 6 months... I used to be here all the time 5-6 years ago. About that time I put a cam/intake/carb on my 2bbl 289, ended up spinning a cam bearing and pulling the 289/c4.

Since then I've just been working and saving, while the car has been stored. Over the next few weeks I'll be getting the car out of storage and getting all my ducks in a row, so to speak.

I have had the C4 built by a reputable trans shop, still need a converter for it but I'm waiting for cam specs/comp ratio to have one custom made.

When it comes time to lose the old paint, should I strip or media blast? The car is originally from the midwest but isn't too bad from the outside... a little rot at the bottom of the fenders...but I'm keeping my fingers crossed until I can get everything apart.

I don't have pics yet, but I will have a few as I progress.

• Sponsors (?)

This reminds me of a story I saw in the paper yesterday. It seems in Florida, lots of people raise Boa constrictors, then when they get too big, they don't want them and set them loose, since Florida is the perfect snake habitat, they grow to amazing proprotions. The one they showed in the paper grew so large, it swallowed a small alligator! The problem was that the 'gator wasn't dead yet, and killed the boa from the inside and escaped! I know right about now, you think I must have had a few too many Coronas this evening. But I do have a point that ties in perfectly with nearly endless, seemingly unreachable car-restoration goals and that is this, "Never, ever give up and you will see your project finished".

Welcome back and lurking is still ok.
As for your question, if your doing it yourself and have the equipment both are good and each has its bad points, that helped alot :rlaugh:
If you have a blaster I would ask the body pro.s in here on what media to use.
You can mess up a good panel real quick.
I used a strip gel when I painted mine. lots of work, all depends on how deep you want to go, If you go to the metal get it under primer same day or it will rust, do a panel at a time.

Thanks, it's good to be back among fellow mustang enthusiasts.
I do smogs for some of the body shops by where I work so I'm going to see what kind of deal they can give me on blasting/stripping since I don't have any experience doing it myself, or any of the equipment. Depending on the cost I may give it a go myself.

I know I've got a bunch of reading up to do.. and I'm going to try and get my bodywork and paint done before suspension or ordering my engine.

Ok, I moved the car today from storage to our shop where I'll be starting the process... :D

Here's a few pics of the car after sitting outside for 2 years... and our new shop. More to come!

1006fo3.jpg

Attachments

• 1006fo3.jpg
    1006fo3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 27
can you take some pics of the mastercylinder/ booster and where the lines go to the distro block on the firewall and post them up? My car has single bowl m/c manual brakes and was curious how the pwoer brake setup looked as that is on my wish list later down the road.

Izzy-

I will be at the shop tomorrow and take a few pics for you. I had non-power drums on all corners with the single bowl master cylinder. I bought the ssbc kit that fits under the 14" wheels with mc and booster and everything.
There's a little bending required and it comes with an adjustable proportioning valve... all in all a very good quality kit and one of the best upgrades I think you can do to these old cars... not to mention the safety aspect.

One word of advice though, if you have any nearby rust you might want to paint your master cylinder first... I didn't and when I take it off I will have to clean it up and spray paint it.

Ok Izzy, I only got one of the master cylinder which has the rears going to an adjustable proportioning valve... I forgot to get the pic of the distribution block on the firewall... next time! :nice:

I got my driver's side fender off... and by the looks of it I have a little more rust on the driver's side than on the passanger side.

Brakes
1015at1.jpg

It looks like I'll have to replace a part of the subframe... I was really expecting worse than this to be honest.

This side will have to be repaired in the same fashion.

There was a nice little yellow jacket nest in the door jam...lucky for me they'd fled already :)

What do y'all think? I knew from the moment I took ownership of the car I had my work cut out for me... I'm having fun so far! :D
I found a guy in Oakland CA who quoted me 1300-1500 to media blast and prime the shell.... Good deal for the bay area?

Attachments

• 1015at1.jpg
    1015at1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 22