After FTI h/c/i swap...I have a burning smell when get around 3500+ rpm during WOT...

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
Well as the subject says I recently did an FTI h/c/i swap and now when I get on it...I get a burning smell from 3500rpm and up...but after I let off and put it in the approriate cruising gear the smell goes away within a couple seconds of letting off the gas... :shrug:

It makes me nervous...and not to put words in people's mouth but I have the stock fuel pump...do you think that could be it...I'm going to order one today or tomorrow...

Any suggestions to why it would do that...?

• Sponsors (?)

umm my friend has as the same problem with his bmw. At wot at about 5k rpm he gets this bad smell from his exhaust. We had it checked out numerous times and nothing popped up as a problem or cause to the smell. So we just let it be. But then again it could be just old gasket burning off or something like that.

Find somewhere to lay into it, pull off safely to the side of the road cut the car off and pull a couple of plugs. May be you have a lean condition. It might be some starvation, does the car feel like it's down on power at all? Any hesistation?

Well the car has got some power (there is only one way to find out...once Ig et the new fuel pump in I'm going to take it to the track and see how it fairs)...but probably not it's full potential...it isn't an exhaust smell I know that...I noticed it yesterday after we put on the header gasket...could be that...and it might take a while but I really dont' think it could be that????...I haven't been past 5000rpm with traction so I can't tell if it's got hesitation or not...that is probably about where it would kick in...

Keepem' coming...

David

I think your just over dramatizing stuff. You just did a h/c/i install yourself and your nervous that something is gonna happen. Nothing at all wrong with that. I'd get the 255 pump so you know thats taken care of and forget about it and drive/race the car. Go to the track this weekend!!

Grn92LX said:
I think your just over dramatizing stuff. You just did a h/c/i install yourself and your nervous that something is gonna happen. Nothing at all wrong with that. I'd get the 255 pump so you know thats taken care of and forget about it and drive/race the car. Go to the track this weekend!!

Paranoid yes...dramatizing...umm...no...I notice things...this was not their before...I don't dream these up...I like getting ideas so I can check on them...I think it is okay to be a bit paranoid on things when it is your only car to drive...I have no back up...so I'd rather get it done right than ignore it...correct? I can't wait to get to the track though :nice:

I get a similar smell when on the gas pretty hard for a prolonged time, like getting on x-way. Then goes away. I was thinking it was an exhaust leak that only shows up under heavier accel but it doesn't smell like exhaust. I'm beginning to think it is my long tube headers heating up and creating a burning type smell? It's been doing it for awhile so I'm not too worried about it.

The clutch is less than a year old (stock NAPA clutch...)...doesn't slip at anytime that I know of...good idea though...

I got to looking and there is a hose coming from the firewall that runs a few inches away from the back side of the header (driver side)...and it has been burned on a bit...but I don't know if that is the smell I smell?...I'm going to put some aluminum foil around it and see if that changes it...if it does I'll buy the real stuff (heater wrap)...

Keep the ideas coming...

5spd GT said:
Well as the subject says I recently did an FTI h/c/i swap and now when I get on it...I get a burning smell from 3500rpm and up...but after I let off and put it in the approriate cruising gear the smell goes away within a couple seconds of letting off the gas... :shrug:

Do you feel heat behind you? If so, that burning smell is your wallet... :rlaugh:

5spd GT said:
The clutch is less than a year old (stock NAPA clutch...)...doesn't slip at anytime that I know of...good idea though...

I got to looking and there is a hose coming from the firewall that runs a few inches away from the back side of the header (driver side)...and it has been burned on a bit...but I don't know if that is the smell I smell?...I'm going to put some aluminum foil around it and see if that changes it...if it does I'll buy the real stuff (heater wrap)...

Keep the ideas coming...

What hose is melted exactly? I don't remember a hose around the last tube that comes out of the firewall....

Sounds also to me like a over powered clutch disk at high Rpm's. To me it kind'a smells like burnt refried beans or something to that order :D . The stock clutch disc was never really designed to handle the stock Torque let alone H/C/I combo. The disc is already running at max with only stock #'s. it was designed for economy not racing :nice:

Rick 91GT said:
What hose is melted exactly? I don't remember a hose around the last tube that comes out of the firewall....

I don't know if it is correct...but I think it is some sort of speedo gear????...(looking at the front of the engine)...it comes out to the left of the clutch cable...(my car used to be an auto if that matters)...

I just don't see how it can be the clutch...the clutch hasn't been abused before and the smell isn't very strong but you can smell it...it isn't just obvious...probably only paranoid me would notice it...