After Market Muffler Sound

Discussion in '1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-' started by That_V8_Kid, Nov 22, 2013.

1. That_V8_Kid

That_V8_Kid New Member

Im replacing only the mufflers because im a cheap bastard right now. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS LOUD AS F as far as mufflers go. Im looking at SLP and Flowmaster 40 series im very open to ideas. Will I even notice a lot of sound change? 01 svt cobra.
  2. 95Vert383AOD

95Vert383AOD Active Member

3. That_V8_Kid

That_V8_Kid New Member

Sounds nice but I can get a good sound like that with only Aftermarket mufflers? With leaving the cats on and everything else? your sounds pretty nice I could deal with that.
  4. 1968stang

1968stang Founding Member

5. madspeed

madspeed Colonel Mustard Mod Dude Founding Member

Somewhere on a hill in the PA wildnerness
    Thread moved...
  6. Night Shifter

Night Shifter Well-Known Member

Youtube is your friend. And if youre looking for loud, find something with tone.. dont just go loud cause that sounds like sh!t :nonono:

Bassani makes loud with a good tone to it. Only issue is bassani is pricey.
    85rkyboby likes this.
  7. Nightfire

Nightfire Mustang Master

O/R midpipe + Stingers = :drool::drool::drool:
  8. sneaky98gt

sneaky98gt Mustang Master

SLP LM1s are the loudest that I'm aware of.

Coincidentally, they also sound just like ass cheeks slapping together, and I normally turn away in disgust and shame when I hear a Mustang with them.
    Night Shifter likes this.
  9. Mattstang04

Mattstang04 Active Member

Beware the Flowmasters. You like them at first. They scream with an offroad midpipe. But after a little while you will want to replace them. You start getting tired of the constant drone. I get headaches sometimes if I hang around highway speeds for a long period of time. Just my .02.
  10. sneaky98gt

sneaky98gt Mustang Master

They don't drone bad at all with a Prochamber. I'll agree with an H or X, though.
  11. Thatsweetstang

Thatsweetstang Active Member

Flow masters drone out to me. Seems like idle to 2000rpm they are ok but then they never get louder but they get a mellow tone. My brother and my dad have flow masters that were on when the cars were bought and I don't like them as well as my brother. My dad says he doesn't want any louder than that.
  12. restomod66

restomod66 Member

I really enjoy the sound of my SLP Loudmouth 1's despite the "ass cheeks slapping together" comment from earlier. I'm running the SLP catback system w the stock exhaust manifolds and the stock catted H pipe. It screams at full throttle but is pretty mild in my opinion when cruising around, I don't get any drone on the highway, and conversations in the car are had w ease. Now if you pair these mufflers up w a catless H/X pipe you will get some ass cheek slapping sounds going on. I've always felt that despite the restrictive nature of a catalytic converter it helps to smooth out some of the raspy nature of aftermarket exhaust systems. Before the SLP catback I was running a Flowmaster 40 series system and I just felt it sounded way too tinny and hollow for my taste. The Flowmasters sound much better on old school muscle cars like my 66 Mustang IMO.
  13. snowman23

snowman23 Member

I had Flowmasters on my '90 (I understand that was a 5.0 not a 4.6) and liked them at first but as Mattstang04 said, after a while they wear you out. The Steeda exhaust I have now is made by Borla I believe and I absolutely LOVE it. I tried the "just the mufflers" route before, I would honestly just wait and save a little more to get the cat back and /or mid pipe you really want. I would say you'll be happier in the long run. Just my .02.