After Market Rear Suspension too High

bn536

Founding Member
Jun 21, 2001
Stuart, Fl
I've recently replaced the suspension on my '89 LX 5.0. It now has a new rack with utrethane bushings, new front LCAs, dropped Steeda springs with urethane isolators, new struts, tie rods, Steeda CC plates...you get the picture. The front looks/feels great (approx. 1" drop).

I installed the front, drove the car for a week, then attacked the back.

Out back, I made the mistake of not researching thoroughly (apparently). I had a set of UPR aluminum upper LCAs, Soutside Machine Lowers, and put in the same Steeda Springs as the front with urethane isolators and KYB shocks. Rather than the rear dropping an expected 1", it is up just over a 1/2".

I believe the SSM LCA's are the culprit. I know there used to be SSM Lift Bars, but I thought those had a bolt on bracket which raised the suspension...the LCA's I installed did not have the bracket (for reference they are solid bushing). I tossed the stock suspension therefore cannot verify what I believe are offset bolt holes on the SSM bars (in comparison to the stock) which would support my theory...I guess I'm looking for some experience from one of you that says if I spend the cash buying a decent set of LCA's, I'm going to see the rear drop to where it should be...

The car doesn't see much track time and is simply a nice daily driver. The goal is to improve the worn out ride (this was successful) and achieve a more agressive stance.

Any thoughts are welcome...

• Sponsors (?)