Aftermarket 2v Heads

Aaron 4.6 said:
This underlines the fundamental problem of aftermarket head development. Ford makes more revenue in a week than these companies make in a year. If the 2V head had remained unchanged from 1996, I think it possible that an aftermarket offering might now be in the works or on the shelves (or the N/A 2V 4.6 would be dead- another possibility). Of course, when people started screaming about the 96 cars, Ford went right to work. Three years later you have PI heads and another 35 hp. Based on dyno numbers of the 99-04 cars it seems Ford has continued to play with the combination and the cars have gotten better and better.

Now Ford steps up and delivers the 3V head. No aftermarket company can afford to keep up. Why try to design a better and smarter 2V head when Ford is going to beat you to the punch again with the 3V head. I just don't see the profitability in it. Any aftermarket company will have to make a product that works as well or better than the new 3V head AND price it so that its not cheaper to find a wrecked F-150 and harvest the parts off of it!

I just don't see it happening...

You said it in a nutshell. I don't see any offerings with the 3V heads due to show up on the new Mustangs.

Starkie

• Sponsors (?)

(sigh) As I've said before in other threads, It's not the heads that are the problem, it's the BORE! LS-1s, 5.0, and even LT-1s respond to head changes better than modulars because they have a 4" bore. The puny 3.5" bore of the modular engines shrouds the valves and limits their flow.

Multi-valves address this, to a certain extent, but wall-to-wall valves will only help a little. I wouldn't hold out a whole buncha hope for the great boost in power that AR 165s etc. have had in the 5.0 world. Multi-valves, forced induction, and/or a screaming red-line are the only way around the "microphallic" proportions of the pistons of these lil' gems.

Yeah, thats why I bumped my old thread when I seen the cylinder head had taken shape. I had a cylinder head and was lookin at it and thought hmmmmm, so I called 3 cylinder head companies to see what could be done and actually went to a luncheon with one of the companies about this style head. I really didnt care about anything except gettin the thing made no matter who was gonna do it. Now that its here Im happy.