Aftermarket Blocks

kck6894

Advanced Member
Mar 18, 2004
Paradise
Well I found out today that I broke the block in my car. I was using a stock ford block in my 94. I was looking at replacing it with an aftermarket block but was not certain where to buy one or who makes the best one. Right now I am running a NA 347 that revs to about 7K. Does anyone have any info or opinions for me?

• Sponsors (?)

88Stang331 said:
I think somebody is stroking there ego a little bit much. :hail2:

naa... just giving him possibly cheaper options.

If he is going stroker he will already be using a 28oz balance crank, flywheel, oil pain, and balancer... so the only Real extra cost to get the mexican block working is the retro-fit lifters IF he wants a roller cam. the extra cost of retro fitting lifters added on to a mexican block is still less than an aftermarket block. SO, provided he can find a mexican block block its the cheapest way to build a stout engine that wont crack.

:D

poneypower89 said:
naa... just giving him possibly cheaper options.

If he is going stroker he will already be using a 28oz balance crank, flywheel, oil pain, and balancer... so the only Real extra cost to get the mexican block working is the retro-fit lifters IF he wants a roller cam. the extra cost of retro fitting lifters added on to a mexican block is still less than an aftermarket block. SO, provided he can find a mexican block block its the cheapest way to build a stout engine that wont crack.

:D

I have good access to J/Y parts (seeing how I own one :nice: ) But my current set up is a 347 that is a 50oz blanace. Will that still work in the mexican blocks? How much stronger are the mexican blocks? How do you tell the differance and what did they come in?

kck6894 said:
I have good access to J/Y parts (seeing how I own one :nice: ) But my current set up is a 347 that is a 50oz blanace. Will that still work in the mexican blocks? How much stronger are the mexican blocks? How do you tell the differance and what did they come in?

Ok, 50 oz balance CAN still work with the mexican block HOWEVER it is highly NOT reccomended by every engine builder I've talked to due to main seal issues and the fact 28oz balance is just simply better for a performance engine due to less rotating mass.

Mexican blocks have been known to handle as much as 800-900 hp. In fact, I havent seen a picture of one cracked yet where I see the sock 5.0l blocks cracked almost weekly.

The mexican blocks came in ford vehicles at RANDOM there is no specific car to search. They were however produced throughout the 70's so keep ur eye out for 302 equipped 70's model cars/trucks/vans.

From the outside the block looks almost identical EXCEPT it has two little bosses on the front of the block that are there for no reason. They do not interfer with any of the engines components... they were just there from the casting that was used. Also, if you look in the lifter valley of the block it will say "Hecho In Mexico" on it.

The mexicans blocks were rumored to have a higher nickel iron content..However, I have never seen proof of this so right now Im not buying that theory.

They do however have much larger main caps and thicker webbing. The block iteself is just a little beefier all around.. albiet just a little bit.

poneypower89 said:
Ok, 50 oz balance CAN still work with the mexican block HOWEVER it is highly NOT reccomended by every engine builder I've talked to due to main seal issues and the fact 28oz balance is just simply better for a performance engine due to less rotating mass.

Mexican blocks have been known to handle as much as 800-900 hp. In fact, I havent seen a picture of one cracked yet where I see the sock 5.0l blocks cracked almost weekly.

The mexican blocks came in ford vehicles at RANDOM there is no specific car to search. They were however produced throughout the 70's so keep ur eye out for 302 equipped 70's model cars/trucks/vans.

From the outside the block looks almost identical EXCEPT it has two little bosses on the front of the block that are there for no reason. They do not interfer with any of the engines components... they were just there from the casting that was used. Also, if you look in the lifter valley of the block it will say "Hecho In Mexico" on it.

The mexicans blocks were rumored to have a higher nickel iron content..However, I have never seen proof of this so right now Im not buying that theory.

They do however have much larger main caps and thicker webbing. The block iteself is just a little beefier all around.. albiet just a little bit.

Cool! Thanks for the info! :nice:

kck6894 said:

You wouldn't happen to have access to stock 6pc head lights, and LX tail lights? :D

Hrmm..your in washington...maybe i'll have to stop by down at the junk yard when i come home on leave next time, and see what i can use...if anything from the junk yard. :nice:

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
I believe the Man O War block is probably the end-all-beat-all small block Ford block...you can stroke the 302 version to a 426....that's insane.

This is the block i am going to use for my 331 turbo set up. From what i understand its pretty much bullet proof, with forged internals, should be perfect for boost...bwahahaha.

88Stang331 said:
This is the block i am going to use for my 331 turbo set up. From what i understand its pretty much bullet proof, with forged internals, should be perfect for boost...bwahahaha.

Yeah i had to double take when i read how far you can stroke it to. 426 out of a 351 block is a stretch, but out of a 302 block is crazy! I should have mentioned it's a tall dech version of the 302, but still the 8.2 version strokes well past 350.