Aftermarket gauge quesiton

I've broken 5 speedometer cables now, the first one was the original one it happened to come out of the speedometer itself and messed up the end of it; the 2nd one snapped, 3rd one also snapped, 4th one rubbed up against the exhaust then got stuck, 5th one I haven't had time to investigate all I know is the speedometer isn't working right now.

Either way i'm sick of these repro speedometer cables, i'm thinking of going electronic. Has anyone found anything that looks similar to stock that isn't a huge bite out of the pocket? I don't have enough $$ to replace all the gauges, is it even possible to only replace the speedometer only or would i need to change all of it?

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

The times I've broken replacement speedo cables, it was either do to poor routing, (got hot and melted on headers)
or it got kinked when it was installed. The kinked ones squeak for a minute, then fail, almost immediately.

You might take a second look at how many turns it has to make between the instrument panel and the transmission...

I have no experience with any other aftermarket cables....

Yes you can, but it will take some ingenuity, and fabrication skills. One of the guys on here built a custom dash while keeping the stock speedo. He posted some excellent pictures of what he did to make it work.
Basically you would be working in reverse, but same idea. Do a search for it, sometime between July and last month. I'm sorry I can't remember who did it, but it came out incredible.

I did a custom gauge package for the '66 that replaced all the gauges that may also be helpful.
There are some pictures in this thread. I have more pictures of the backside, it it helps.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/789682-new-gauge-cluster.html

BTW: If I was doing mine over, I would get the 4" speedo. It would take a bit of bezel trimming, but should look better than the 3-3/8" one I used.

Good luck!

Hey 66Runt, if you could can you post up pictures of the backside of the instrument panel;
Also in terms of sending units what did you have to purchase in addition? Does it work with the stock fuel sending unit? oil sending unit?
Thanks in advance