aftermarket H-pipe w/ cats

Anybody had problems passing emissions w/ a catted h-pipe? I was planning on buying a MAC h-pipe w/cats, but one of the local guys says he failed emissions. He has a pretty aggressive setup w/ edelbrock heads and intake w/ a e303 cam. I plan to have a similiar setup just TFS instead of edelbrock. I prefer to have a catted h-pipe, but I do not want to spend all that money and not be able to pass emissions. I prefer not to run an O/R pipe then switch to the stock for emissions. Just wonder if anyone has had success with the MAC pipe or another brand. Thanks for any help i receive.

• Sponsors (?)

A new three-way-catalyzed pipe should pass easily. I pass the sniffer but fail visually because my aftermarket catted H only has two cats and the OEM pipe technically had four. I don't know how emissions testing is in Hawaii though.

One thing to consider is that I've seen a few threads lately with people failing with aftermarket cats that are not too old. Yet the stock H cleans things up (the stock cats really hold up fairly well).

Good luck.

I put a mac H with the 2 high flow cats on this spring for emissions testing and I passed with flying colours. I kept it on after the test too because there was no loss/gain of power as compared to my catless X-pipe, and I think the H pipe sounds much better, having had both an X and H on my car.

my buddy with an afr headed 5.0 lost 21 horse from going to a 2 catted x pipe from an offroad pipe, verified on the dyno. However, with people with lower hp levels, it's not going to make a difference as mentioned.

my buddy with an afr headed 5.0 lost 21 horse from going to a 2 catted x pipe from an offroad pipe, verified on the dyno. However, with people with lower hp levels, it's not going to make a difference as mentioned.

Thats not typical at all. What else was changed besides the pipe in between the 2 pulls? How much power was he making to begin with?

i'll get the details, but I believe it was 321 at the wheels with the offroad pipe, and I believe no other changes were made. I'll talk to him tomorrow and get the full scoop, but I do know that # I listed is accurate.

I'm in AZ. And apologies - after seeing your username I assumed (incorrectly) that you were in Hawaii.

You might find that regarding how strict they are about the testing, it really comes down to what County you're in. I seem to recall Oregon having testing every two years, which is always nice (it's yearly here).

There are some folks from Portland on here (as well as a Grant's Pass guy, K-Falls, etc). They might chime in.

Good luck.

No need to apologize, you were almost correct! I lived in Hawaii for 9 years and my wife is an island girl. We moved to OR 7years ago for my job. My job sent me to AZ about 1 1/2yrs ago for some training, seen alot of real nice stangs rollin around. I guess it's easier to justify buying/modifing a stang when you can drive it 365!