Aftermarket Mass Air & Sensors

freddyk70

Sep 5, 2009
Hello 5-oh faithful. i'm putting a 347 with efi in a 1977 Mustang II. Motor came from a friends wrecked 92. I got "most" of the stuff but not all, and now i'm trying to assemble it in my car, so I would really appreciate any help!

I have no dyno #'s but I'm sure hoping the motor makes 375-400 horseys.

Injectors: According to Ford racing website I calculated a 30# injector, but he was running 24# injectors and it ran good. Will upsizing hurt? If it ain't broke don't fix it scenario? evn tho Ford says bigr? I have the 24's from him and I just bought some 30's (maybe a mistake, hope not)

Mass Air system: I am really confused here. Again according to Ford racing webiste, 75-80 mm would suffice, but I don't have this item so I'm trying to determine: A.) C&L meter w/stock Ford mass air sensor? or B.) Aftermarket Mass air meter AND sensor complet? Summit Racing sells one w/the sensor and everything? Anybody know if this will work, or the best solution here?

Thanks for the hlep!!!

Fred

• Sponsors (?)

you should be fine on the 30lb injectors. I'm running 30lb on my 331. As for the mass air I had a C&L once then I sold it and got a real mass air meter.

Anderson Ford Motorsport Home Page

Check these guys out. I got my most recent mass air from them and I couldn't be happier.

I ended up getting the Professional Mass Air Systems Velocity Mass Air.

My personal opinion I wouldn't go lower than 30's on a 347, most people even go higher to allow room to grow in the future. You could probably get away with jacking the fuel pressure up a little higher to get more out of the injectors with 24's and still make power but your your not suposed to go more than a 80% full load on the injectors usually. As far as meters go I don't even know whats out there anymore, pro-m used to be the best but I don't think they exist anymore, c&l always had a hit or miss reputation. I think the newest flavor of the month is the abaco programmable meters but get ready to spend some money, and they are huger.

Remember the further you get away from a stock setup more in tuning the car will need, especially in with fuel injectors and maf sensor. Stock computer is programmed for 19lbers and is built around them (upper lower injector slopes, injector break points, injector offset vs battery voltage, and the maf transfer function). you might need to consider some tuning aspects to the car to run optimal.

Thanks for the help! Sounds like I'm pretty close with my thinking... Sure you can bolt it together, but I agree the big "x" factor is making all this stuff actually work so we shall see. From the reading I've done it appears the mass air pieces are crucial to idle and overall run quality so it's probably worth spending a little more on to make sure it'll work. I will be giving anderson guys a hollar today

(imho)

30s should be fine.

If you go bigger than 36's some people start to run into idle quality issues...
(not all, but some)

Whatever meter/inj/etc you wind up with I would budget another 5-600 to spend a day with a QUALITY tuner, at a local dyno facility and get them to burn you a custom tune.

The money will pay for itself a hundred times over in drivability, idle quality, cold startup, etc, etc, etc...

Dave

hey dave i'm going w/factory a9 computer and aftermarket harness. i def was planning on some dyno time, but can they upload new programs to the ford a9 computer?

i am really not sure what to expect when i put all this stuff together it should b interesting.