Aftermarket Transmission Cooler

bad68coupe

Jul 18, 2006
Richardson, TX
i need help deciding what size transmission cooler to get as i will be ordering a radiator that does not have a tranny cooler. the 68 Coupe with a 302 is intended for street performance, I live in Texas so it is HOT HOT HOT! what size is right for me?:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

What tranny and is an aftermarket stall used?
I use a B&M rated at 28k GVW and it kept my C4 w/a 9" 3800 stall nice and cool; ~200* under normal driving and a little warmer when I use the line lock & transbrake. They are not bad, but I just recently went from 5-spd to auto so it's the only one I have used thusfar.

FAL and BeCool both sell tranny coolers (stacked-plate as well as fin-and-tube) with fans if you are serious about cooling your tranny. Looking at a particular FAL unit (with thermostat) for my DD pickup to help with hauling horses. Draws 8.5 amps; which is minimal, considering the benefits.
I've never been to Richardson - I think. Most of my last trip through Texas was made West-to East along I-10; and it was dark from New Mexico 'til somewhere outside of San Antonio.
Regardless, I'm pretty sure you couldn't be much worse heat-wise than Yuma in the last couple of weeks. From what I've heard, the 4R70W tranny in my pickup doesn't really like the operating temperatures to which I subject my personal example - at least not this time of the year.