Aftermarket X-pipes (NOT ASKING WHICH TO BUY!!)

• Sponsors (?)

bigsparky said:
I haven't bought one yet but i'm curious if they have the spot for the O2 sensors or do they need to be drilled?? Or are the o2's in the headers??? I haven't looked for them and now that it's parked I CAN'T go look at them.
Thanks

I posted the following last night on a similar thread:

I just replaced my stock cat pipe with a MAC x-pipe in my '91LX. They fit great and the sound is awesome. It has two bungs for which to screw in your O2 sensors which you have to have.

Some helpful hints:

1) You will need a long extension for your socket to reach the bolts on the headers.

2) The day before you replace the pipes, spray lots of liquid wrench or something similar on the O2's - they can be a bear to remove.

3) It may be easier to take off the O2 sensors while the stock pipes are connected so that you have some resistance when you are trying to loosen them.

4) Apply anti-seize to the O2 sensors when you put them in the new pipes.

5) If you ever plan on taking your car to the dyno and want your air/fuel ratio have someone weld in an additional bung for the wideband sensor they will use at the dyno ($34 at the place I went to). Then plug the hole with an old O2 sensor which you can probably get from a helpful mechanic somewhere.

6) The new pipe has an air tube to connect to your emissions. If you have removed your air pump you can either crimp the air tube shut, JB Weld a 1/2" X 1" bolt into the tube (which is what I did), or probably even tap the tube to then screw in a bolt.

Hope this helps!

Kevin