Age Of 1991 Lx And Wear

nyyankee

Jun 8, 2003
New York
Im looking at a 1991 lx with supposedly 29,900k on the ticker. Carfax does show good but I showed a mechanic friend of mine pics and the only thing he didnt like was the odemeter reading. He didnt like that the numbers werent lined up. He says that usually means rollback. And also he told me to look at the peddals for wear which makes sense. So I have included a couple pics. What do you think.

View attachment 144664
View attachment 144665
View attachment 144666
View attachment 144667
engine.jpg

View attachment 144669
View attachment 144670
View attachment 144671
View attachment 144672

• Sponsors (?)

Impossible to tell, but I am always leery of "Low Mileage" Fox Mustangs. It seems like every time someone posts up about how they bought one it only had 30, 40, 50K on it. I just have a hard time believing that there are that many 20+ year old Foxes out there that haven't done 5 years worth of driving. It is not like anyone ever thought these cars would be rare or valuable in 1992, so why did so many get stuck away in garages and never get driven?

So, it probably is 129K or better, but if you like the car and the price is right, it doesn't really matter anyway, unless you plan to stick it in your garage under a cover anyway.

I don't see the point of rolling the odometer back when you can just as easily achieve the same result by rolling it forward.

I believe the car may have the stated miles. It is very clean, even on the underside. Everything is there, even the coil cover. It all appears to be in great shape. There don't appear to be any oil leaks. Some of the hardware (nuts and bolts) is rusted but not all of it is and what is rusted is not excessively rusted.

If it has 129,000 miles on it, it has been extremely well cared for.

I had heard that odometer not being lined up means its rolled over, not necessarily that someone has tampered with the odometer (ie: rolled it back)

I agree it looks really clean. Regardless, its been well cared for and if the price is right go for it.

Some people on other forums said this car had a re-paint, they said this from the limited pics I posted. This is a CA car and the old story came out that some couple owned it and the husband died and she drove it here and there. Everything is supposed to be original. Except the mufflers which were documented as being replaced.

Some people on other forums said this car had a re-paint, they said this from the limited pics I posted. This is a CA car and the old story came out that some couple owned it and the husband died and she drove it here and there. Everything is supposed to be original. Except the mufflers which were documented as being replaced.

It does look like the engine bay is a different color. Like said above, it looks pretty clean, and I didn't think the pedals looked worn at all. A buddy of mine in highschool bought an 89 GT. The odometer said something like 15000, so we thought it was probably 115000, nope, owner said it was 215000. The female owner and drove it everyday as a commuter for like 12 years. It was well taken care of too, but not quiet that clean.

Joe

Everytime I traded in a fox - I 'rolled' the miles back - I used to have to sit on the toilet to it (don't ask me why) keeping the dials correct is a pita - if I bought it w/12k on it (I took such great care of the car ) and maybe drove it up to 32k - I'd roll it back to 22 or 24k - you'd have to judge the mileage to how it looks ratio - I only did it to up the $$ on trade - almost got busted once - rolled my 96' cobra back from 36k to 22k - too much of a stretch - but the dealer took it anyway and all of the techs tried to buy it ....:confused: - your car looks clean - may have like 10 or 15k more if it's been rolled back slightly .......

Everytime I traded in a fox - I 'rolled' the miles back - I used to have to sit on the toilet to it (don't ask me why) keeping the dials correct is a pita - if I bought it w/12k on it (I took such great care of the car ) and maybe drove it up to 32k - I'd roll it back to 22 or 24k - you'd have to judge the mileage to how it looks ratio - I only did it to up the $$ on trade - almost got busted once - rolled my 96' cobra back from 36k to 22k - too much of a stretch - but the dealer took it anyway and all of the techs tried to buy it ....:confused: - your car looks clean - may have like 10 or 15k more if it's been rolled back slightly .......

You, sir, are a real piece of :poo:.

Reactions: 2 users

Ill go ahead and say it. What an Fn THUG!

Well I don't know what color the 'sky' is in your 'worlds' - but here in reality.... it's 'blue' - 20 yrs ago even the dealerships were 'rolling' the dials back boys - and when they switched it to the digital's people and dealers a like were hunting junk yards pulling the digital boxes and replacing them into cars to lower the mileage - I'm not defendng these actions - but back when I was 18 - I really never thought of the consequences - was it wrong - Yes - Do I do that anymore - of course not - I was merely trying to explain to 'nyyankee' what he may or may not have in front of him before he spent his $$ - sorry about the dose of reality - you can now all go back and play w/your little pink playhouses and dream of unicorns and cotton candy in your little self rightious perfect worlds ......I won't comment any further .....

Reactions: 1 user
Im looking at a 1991 lx with supposedly 29,900k on the ticker.

:jaw: 29,900,000 MILES! Holy Chit!

That looks engine looks like a 29k engine to me. I looks Showroom perfect.

My 18 year old daily driver has over 100K miles and the engine looks like this:

DSC_5733.jpg

In fact, I'll go so far as to say my daily driver AND my Mustang have interiors and exteriors that are in better shape than most new cars :nice:

IMG_20120724_190019.jpg

Stang.jpg

Oh, and I almost forgot ***LOOK AT ME***

Well I don't what color the 'sky' is in your 'worlds' - but here in reality.... it's 'blue' - 20 yrs ago even the dealerships were 'rolling' the dials back boys - and when they switched it to the digital's people and dealers a like were hunting junk yards pulling the digital boxes and replacing them into cars to lower the mileage - I'm not defendng these actions - but back when I was 18 - I really never thought of the consequences - was it wrong - Yes - Do I do that anymore - of course not - I was merely trying to explain to 'nyyankee' what he may or may not have in front of him before he spent his $$ - sorry about the dose of reality - you can now all go back and play w/your little pink playhouses and dream of unicorns and cotton candy in your little self rightious perfect worlds ......I won't comment any further .....

:rlaugh: awesome rant

Reactions: 1 user