Air and other filters

05PhillyStang

Oct 28, 2004
Has anyone found it difficult to find a replacement air filter for our cars? I've looked at my local Pep Boys, Auto Zone, and Advanced Auto Parts, but can't seem to find anything. I DID find an STP filter, but I was out of state at the time and didn't want to chance the filter not fitting...I should've jumped on it while I had the chance.

The guys at the parts counter always give me a part number but when I go to the aisle, it's nowhere to be found. There isn't even an spot on the shelf, indicating they are sold-out.

While we're on the topic, other than air, what filters should be changed and when?

• Sponsors (?)

i bought an OEM air filter at about 10,000. next time it needs changed, i will either get a K&N drop in or a CAI. the stock filter retails for about $50!! i get employee cost, which is about $24. still too much, but i needed it to go on a road trip and it was the most readily available filter. i suggest getting a K&N for about $40, then you wont have to worry about buying another one again!! (just remember that our cars are picky, and a K&N might throw a code....)

05PhillyStang said:
$50?!!!! Wow! What brand was it? The STP one I saw was $24.99. It was either at Advanced Auto Parts or Autozone. Like I said, I was out of state (NC) so i don't remember.
thats a FORD filter for $50.

GOLDENPONY said:
I'm guessing that $50 for an air filter you may have gotten a price on a cabin air filter, not an engine air filter. :shrug:
no, the FORD OEM air filter is $50, my cost was $24. i bought it and have it in my car right now. the reason i bought it was because i was going out of town, and happened to check it right before i left. the dealer was the only one to stock the part.

d7eb5bfa.jpg

Attachments

• d7eb5bfa.jpg
    d7eb5bfa.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 36
Yeah believe it or not I was flabbergasted when I took my Mazda 3 in for a oil & lube last month. They called me up, so you need a new Air Filter. I'm like OK (why are you telling me this). They are extra and cost $45cdn. I'm like what? They aren't included in the $40 f'n oil change?

Just unreal. The filters haven't magically changed so why is the near identical (but slightly smaller) Mazda filter for my old Protege 5 only $15 if I go replace it myself but this one is more than the oil change?

I told him to stuff it and I picked up a K&N across the street on sale for $4 less. :-o

Mark25 said:
bigcat, how easy was it to remove the old air filter and then install the new filter? Did you have to disconnect the MAF wiring connection to give yourself enough room the lift the top portion of the airbox?
yes, you can remove the filter without disconnecting the MAF sensor. all you have to do is unclip the tabs at the rear of the box, and pull up and forward. the top comes off with enough room to change the filter. should take about 60 seconds, including opening and closing the hood.