Electrical Air Bag Code 34 - So Close...

JasinC19

What hole is this!?!
Jun 7, 2011
I've been struggling with air bag code 34. I have followed the service manual procedure here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/AP/apjp02/2012-09-09_031945_code_34.pdf

Assuming a good air bag module, the possible culprits are

- short between circuit 614 and 615
- bad clock spring
- bad air bag

I have a spare air bag, which did not fix the problem, along with an air bag simulator, which also did not fix the problem.

Using an ohm meter, I verified continuity between the air bag clock spring wires from the dashboard connector to the air bag connector.

Finally, I verified that there was an infinite open between circuits 614 and 615 (no short).

Here is my question: the manual tells me to remove a plastic locking wedge from black air back module connector. I do not see a wedge in there, nor did I remove it (that I know of). I read somewhere else that this wedge may ground/short something together. If this wedge is missing somehow, could this cause my problem?

If my clock spring has continuity, could it still be the culprit?

Thanks!
Jason

• Sponsors (?)

Those pages are for the F-series and Bronco. Are you 100% sure the wiring harnesses are the same for the airbag system in your Mustang? The fact that they use similar-looking airbags and steering wheels isn't a good indicator that everything is the same.

Thanks for your reply. I used that link as a reference to the 1993 Mustang Ford Service Manual procedure that I followed, since it looked to be basically the same...

I'm still struggling with code 34... I'm fighting the urge to drop the money for a new clockspring, although my tests say mine is not faulty. I was hoping someone would be able to confirm that a clockspring being good was basically just that the wires had continuity or they did not.

The service manual makes a reference that each wire in the clockspring harness has .5 ohms resistance, but that's such a small number, it's hard to gauge it accurately.

Update:

I tried plugging my airbag simulator into the vehicle wiring harness at the base of the steering column, thus eliminating the clockspring AND the airbag from the test. The resistance of the air bag simulator is 2 ohms, which is what the diagnostic monitor is expecting.

Code 34 persists.

So service manual procedure has you check for a short between pins 10 and 11. If there is no short, you put simulator on steering wheel in place of air bag. If code 34 is still there, then it says verify air bag simulator is 2 ohms. If it is (nothing wrong with simulator) then replace air bag computer.

This is the case for me, and I got this computer on ebay and it said it was tested working. Not sure what that really means lol but before trying to return it, I wanted to give everyone an update in case this rang any bells with anyone.

Much appreciation,
Jason