Air Bag Code 34 - What is the Fix?

bretamo

May 13, 2005
I have a 92 GT with a blinking AirBag light - flashing a code 34.

For the 92 model year, it is my understanding that code 34 represents "Low Resistance" for the air bag circuitry.

What is the recommended fix for this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Bret

• Sponsors (?)

bretamo said:
I have a 92 GT with a blinking AirBag light - flashing a code 34.

For the 92 model year, it is my understanding that code 34 represents "Low Resistance" for the air bag circuitry.

What is the recommended fix for this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Bret

My 92 Service Manual says the probable cause for airbag code 34 is Low Resistance in the drivers Air Bag Circuit. Suggested fixs check the clockspring and check for short between circuit 614 GY/O and 615 GY/W

Where did you guys see a specific fix for code 34 (low resistance). I may have missed it, because I don't see any verbiage on that specific code.

I see several for the high resistance codes, but not for low resistance.

I am just concerned about getting a clockspring and it having nothing to do with low resistance.

Thanks for any guidance.

bretamo said:
Where did you guys see a specific fix for code 34 (low resistance). I may have missed it, because I don't see any verbiage on that specific code.

I see several for the high resistance codes, but not for low resistance.

I am just concerned about getting a clockspring and it having nothing to do with low resistance.

Thanks for any guidance.
Its in my Ford Service Manual for 1992.

You need whats called a "clockspring". Its behind the steering wheel, mounted to the top of the column. Ive seen a million of these things go bad. Its the wiring connection between the air bag and the wiring at the base of the column, the clockspring is a "spooled up" piece of wire inside a plastic round housing, which, as the wheel turns it spools up and unspools. they wear out in time though.

mackey said:
If you remove the airbag sensor up front the back may be completely rusted and not grounding out on the front clip like it is supposed to do. Mine had the exact same problem.
Seems to me that this would toss a code 85 (driver side, on an SN).

Shakerhood said:
In my book Code 44 and 46 cover the 2 front sensors.
Mackey was posting his personal experience, and he has an SN95, so I chose to quote the code that would come up on an SN for a front sensor (I chose the driver sensor). :)