Air Compressor Recommendations

tannerc91gt

This last 25% is foreign territory at this point
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Indiana
Need suggestions for a "budget" air compressor. Gone too long without one in my new garage. Currently only have 110 but can get 220 wired up for use as well.

Not sure what size I need, but not looking to spend $800+ on a compressor right now.

Will just be for typical hobby work. Lug nuts, pain in the ass bolts, etc

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 25 gallon craftsman air compressor in my garage-it does its job-but runs low on air easily.
Good friend of mine does a lot of side jobs in his garage-he bought a Campbell Hausfield 60 gallon new (scratch and dent.) from a peddlers mall for $500 lol. Had no issues with it and it maintains air well.
image.jpeg

Looks a lot like that one ^^^

I have a Husky from Home Depot, 60 gallon, 4hp, runs on 240v and has worked great for the past year. puts out 11 scfm at 90psi and 13.4 scfm at 40psi. I have about 35ft of black pipe with water traps. I think the compressor was $550ish which should leave you $ for pipe and valves. Home Depot also will cut to length and thread the black pipe for you for free.

I've heard Cambell Hausfeld makes the Husky compressors.

I have a Husky from Home Depot, 60 gallon, 4hp, runs on 240v and has worked great for the past year. puts out 11 scfm at 90psi and 13.4 scfm at 40psi. I have about 35ft of black pipe with water traps. I think the compressor was $550ish which should leave you $ for pipe and valves. Home Depot also will cut to length and thread the black pipe for you for free.

I've heard Cambell Hausfeld makes the Husky compressors.
They make the Kobalts too apparently. Or some of them at least.

I also had a Husky 60 gallon awhile back, budget friendly and I didn't have any problems with it. But I did need an electrician to run the 3 phase required to power it.

Last edited:
35 gallon craftsman. I have ran that thing to death, but it still works. If I ever build a garage, I will buy as big as I can afford. It runs an impact easily, but a grinder or anything similar keeps it continously cycling.

Joe

I have 60 gallon compressor with an old A/C condenser as an intercooler between the tank and the compressor. That along with a water separator plumbed in with the intercooler helps reduce the water in the tank. I also have the pressure turned up another 20 PSI so that it shuts off at 155 PSI instead of the standard 135 PSI.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have 60 gallon compressor with an old A/C condenser as an intercooler between the tank and the compressor. That along with a water separator plumbed in with the intercooler helps reduce the water in the tank. I also have the pressure turned up another 20 PSI so that it shuts off at 155 PSI instead of the standard 135 PSI.
I need to add an AC condenser with an electric fan to mine sometime soon. Maybe I'll grab a condenser while I'm at the junk yard today.

Don't have alot of knowledge on this area. However, about 3 years ago I was in a pinch and had to buy an air compressor the day my old one broke. Grabbed a Husky air compressor from Home Depot. It's run 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 3 years (One year it was 16 hours a day). Needless to say, I'm surprised it lasted a year. The Husky has done so well I picked up a second one to run a few smaller pieces. Basically, we beat the tar out of them and they keep going. I'd buy one again.

Reactions: 1 user
This is my Husky before I started running all the piping. Just have to clean the air filter on it and change the oil from time to time. 50% duty cycle which is not a problem because the running time to keep the tank full is very short.

Husky

Model C602H

Internet #205389936

Store SKU #911625
60 Gal. Stationary Electric Air Compressor
Price $489

imag2794-jpg.532768.jpg

Just use pvc instead of gas pipe. It's a lot easier and cheaper and no chance you are going to put a 10ft pipe through a window.
Most compressors are pretty good, you'll find you have more of an issue with the hoses and fittings leaking, rotting and breaking, not the compressor.

I use a 33 gallon craftsman. Got it on sale like 4 years ago for like $250 (I think).
I've been happy with it, but I feel most decent compressors are just fine, I don't see the necessity for something massive or ridiculously powered. Rarely does mine not break a bolt loose.

And if you were thinking it, forget about the idea of getting one that will do soda blasting or similar properly, they are absurdly expensive.

Most tools are going battery powered anyway.

Most tools are going battery powered anyway.
This^^ The only impact gun I use now is powered by a lithium battery. I have the inexpensive Ryobi and it kicks butt every time. I got my air compressor so I could actually use a DA sander, HVLP spray paint gun, and a cut off wheel/grinder without having to wait on the compressor to catch up. I like doing my own body work and paint on vehicles at home and look forward to smoothing my next engine bay so it was important to have an air compressor that meets the requirements for those. Oh, and my air compressor did a great job keeping up with my sand blaster when I did my rims.

I think they are all the same. Kinda like two major companies probably make them and just put different stickers on them.

I have a 60 gal harbor freight I bought well over 6 years ago. I love as it rarely kicks on when I'm doing little projects. I wired it to 220 and I also have a smaller craftsman stand up that is portable if I need to take it else where.

bringing this thread back to the top cause i gots questions.....

so, i'm looking at buying this compressor in the next couple of months (hopefully anyway, if i can convince myself to actually spend money)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-Gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C602H/205389936

it has a 240v motor and says it draws 15amps. i was thinking of putting in my laundry/storage room in the basement (right next to the garage but 1 story down) and, at least for now, just putting a dryer cord on it and using the dryers outlet. then run (probably copper) hardline up from the compressor into the garage.

other than the (slight) pita from having to share an outlet, are there any problems i'm likely to run into?

bringing this thread back to the top cause i gots questions.....

so, i'm looking at buying this compressor in the next couple of months (hopefully anyway, if i can convince myself to actually spend money)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-Gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C602H/205389936

it has a 240v motor and says it draws 15amps. i was thinking of putting in my laundry/storage room in the basement (right next to the garage but 1 story down) and, at least for now, just putting a dryer cord on it and using the dryers outlet. then run (probably copper) hardline up from the compressor into the garage.

other than the (slight) pita from having to share an outlet, are there any problems i'm likely to run into?
How many feet is the total run from breaker to compressor? What amp breaker are you running it to? I believe mf'r spec says it needs a 20 amp breaker. Is that what your dryer circuit is?

If it was me, I would buy a plastic work box, some 12 -2 wire with a ground and a outlet and cover plate that fit the compressor plug and hardwire it into the dryer connection. That way you can put the air compressor where it is convenient and not worry with having to unplug the dryer. Just remember that you can't run both of them at the same time.

I bought one of these 10 years ago: http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...hp-125-psi-oil-lube-air-compressor-68740.html That little bastard still works, though the power switch is stuck in the "ON" position.
I bought this puppy this year: http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61454.html I've only used it twice so far, but it fills up 21 gallons as quickly and more quietly (though "quiet" is a relative term, it's still loud as hell) as the little 8 gallon fills up.

My 8-gallon was just enough to run my Aircat 1000TH impact for a single wheel worth of lug nuts between refills if none were on too tight, and could run fast enough to keep my sandblaster going at about 80psi for short periods of time (a minute or two) and keep my reserve tank (2 gallon) with it's own regulator filled at around 30psi (ran hose from the 8gallon tank which was at 90psi to the reserve tank and let the regulator bleed off pressure to keep the reserve tank pressure low) for powdercoating. The 21-gallon means I don't wait between wheels anymore, that I never run out of air with the blaster, and that I don't have to hear the motor nearly as often.

I'd go bigger, but portability is important for me right now since I'm working on things out of the back of my truck on the side (also have a 4000watt generator), and have some rural property that I'm hauling both the generator and compressor to for work. Any bigger than that and I wouldn't be able to lift it into and out of my truck bed by myself.

i was thinking of putting in my laundry/storage room in the basement (right next to the garage but 1 story down) and, at least for now, just putting a dryer cord on it and using the dryers outlet. then run (probably copper) hardline up from the compressor into the garage.

Not the ideal solution, but I've done it and it works (that's how I powered my powdercoating oven in the garage, had it on the other side of the divider wall that separated the laundry area from the rest of the garage, I'd unplug the dryer, plug in the oven, get that night's work done, unplug the oven, plug in the dryer, do laundry, then go to bed!).

Last edited: