Airbag code 12 blinking

stephenwilson18

Feb 15, 2006
Got a airbag DTC code 12 on my 92 Lx 50. ppl tell me that it's definitely the clock spring but I changed out the one on my other 92 (same part #) and its still blinking. Horn works but not the cruise. I've heard ppl talk about a connector under the glove box on the 94's that you can jump to reset the air bag module. Is that true on the 92? Clock spring was reset and still flashing. 12 stands for loss of battery power by the way. Is it the module or is it still flashing a prev code that was never cleared? Please help, I'm at my wits end!!

• Sponsors (?)

Code 12 is "Usually" the Diagnostic Monitor which is a Blue Box located behind the climate controls. It is best to verify this by doing the diagnostic checks and a replacement diagnostic monitor will have to come from a 92 or 93 Mustang Only.

know where i can get the diagnostic checks, other than veryuseful.com, i've checked those, would it just be easier to pull the one from my other 92 and test. Is is that easy. or is it a deal where you have to pull the dash. The ac controls are dead in the middle of the dash.

To get to the Box I had to pull the Shift Handle, the Radio, and then the Climate Controls. You need to check the Voltage on the Plug, Pin 13(+) Pin 2 (-) If the Voltage is Greater than 10 Volts the Monitor is bad. You need to unhook the Battery before you start to take anything apart and then after you unplug the Monitor you hook the Battery up so that you can measure the Voltage.

I had a code 12 in a 91 Mustang. I heard of the clockspring issue also. I had a horn, but no cruise. After a few weeks the code went away. It would pop up for a few days, then go off again. I just left it, I didn't care that the airbag system had a code on a 16 year old car. A lot of times the cruise doesn't work because the cable is broke at the servo...which is located under the splash shield of the left fender. None of my FOX bodies had working cruise control....they all had cable broken at this spot....must be a common problem.

I had a code 12 in a 91 Mustang. I heard of the clockspring issue also. I had a horn, but no cruise. After a few weeks the code went away. It would pop up for a few days, then go off again. I just left it, I didn't care that the airbag system had a code on a 16 year old car. A lot of times the cruise doesn't work because the cable is broke at the servo...which is located under the splash shield of the left fender. None of my FOX bodies had working cruise control....they all had cable broken at this spot....must be a common problem.

The Clock Spring is not even listed as a possible Culprit for a Code 12.

I had this on my 1992 GT, it was the clock spring shorting and blowing the blue box air bag control fuse. They had to change the clock spring AND the box since the fuse was not replaceable (at least the Ford dealership said it wasn't replaceable). Cost me $700 for parts and labor in 2005.

Hi, this code 12 I also have problem with my 92 5.0. After I've read here, I swapped the monitor. After that, error 33. The monitor, however, had a different number on the plug. Then again a different monitor (with the same number), and now error 41. belief almost, it is not on the monitor (?)
If I measure the Voltage (PIN 13/2) I have the same voltage as the battery less than 13V, fuse (15A) 7 in the footwell left is ok.
Any ideas?
Thanks an BR from Germany