Airbag Code 32

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Went to VeryUseful.com to check an airbag code Im throwing right now...3 flashes, pause, 2 flashes. According to info, it is a very common problem:

Prolog:
Error code 32 is the most common air bag problem. Chances are Very Good that you have bad clock spring in the steering column. It is Very Easy to replace! Get a NEW one from Ford. They are not very expensive (between ?$45 to $90?). Do NOT waste your time or money getting a used one from the junk yard that may break soon. The clock spring connects the turning steering wheel to your stationary steering column. So, over time, they have a tendency to break

At first I thought the problem was that I had my 2 front sensors off, because I threw codes before when they were off. I used the jumper method described to clear the codes.

Since I had the sensors off for the rebuild, I assumed my codes were for that before reading what 32 actually meant. So when I tried to jump the box and clear them it didnt work.

MAIN QUESTION: Is the 3 flashes, pause, 2 flashes code 32 and is what is described on the site the ONLY possible cause and solution to this?

Thanks
RC

• Sponsors (?)

ok code 32 is airbag unit high resistance or open circuit. And the most common cause for this is the clock spring. You should actually be able to take the clock spring out and ohm it out to see if you have an open. Ideally you would do this while turning the clock spring to see if its an intermittent open.

Neither. It's a circular mechanical device behind the steering wheel that allows you to get electrical connections to something that turns, like a steering wheel. Here's a photo of one from a different style of car:

http://www.penguinhosting.net/~bigmac/store/RT/clockSpring/clockSpringReplacement.html

It's basically a long bunch of wires flattened into a thin strip that's would up like a spring. As you turn the steering wheel one way, the wire strip winds up; and it loosens the other way. Each clockspring is designed with enough "spring" so it'll turn far enough one way.

Without a clockspring, you'd bind up the wires that lead to the airbag, horn etc and eventually break 'em.

Neither. It's a circular mechanical device behind the steering wheel that allows you to get electrical connections to something that turns, like a steering wheel. Here's a photo of one from a different style of car:

http://www.penguinhosting.net/~bigmac/store/RT/clockSpring/clockSpringReplacement.html

It's basically a long bunch of wires flattened into a thin strip that's would up like a spring. As you turn the steering wheel one way, the wire strip winds up; and it loosens the other way. Each clockspring is designed with enough "spring" so it'll turn far enough one way.

Without a clockspring, you'd bind up the wires that lead to the airbag, horn etc and eventually break 'em.

Thanks for the info...Could a something we did in the engine bay with the wires cause a code 32? We checked everything we knew to check with the reinstall.

Thanks
RC

Thanks for the info...Could a something we did in the engine bay with the wires cause a code 32? We checked everything we knew to check with the reinstall.

Thanks
RC

I highly doubt it, only code you would trip there would be impact sensor codes. That code set with an open or high resistance in the wiring from the module in the center bottom of the dash to the air bag itself. And only usual component failure in between is the clock spring. You'd be surprised how many times I have to replace those on cars brand new and old at work. Like few hundred miles new. lol chit just happens.

I highly doubt it, only code you would trip there would be impact sensor codes. That code set with an open or high resistance in the wiring from the module in the center bottom of the dash to the air bag itself. And only usual component failure in between is the clock spring. You'd be surprised how many times I have to replace those on cars brand new and old at work. Like few hundred miles new. lol chit just happens.

COME Over next week and Check mine out :D Since you're so good at it!! Ill buy lunch! :p
RC

COME Over next week and Check mine out :D Since you're so good at it!! Ill buy lunch! :p
RC

Everyone is booking me it seems, lol Wiring up the fuel pump on a stang tomorrow tweeked around with a 4v cobra today(and dynoed my car:D) and putting a D/S in another fox sometime soon, lol. But your cars pretty so we shall figure something out, lol. Ill try... Oh **** MY SPAGHETTI forgot I was cooking it, lol. Ok what was I saying, Oh yea lets see what we can do I will try very hard for saturday early morning if thats good for you?

Everyone is booking me it seems, lol Wiring up the fuel pump on a stang tomorrow tweeked around with a 4v cobra today(and dynoed my car:D) and putting a D/S in another fox sometime soon, lol. But your cars pretty so we shall figure something out, lol. Ill try... Oh **** MY SPAGHETTI forgot I was cooking it, lol. Ok what was I saying, Oh yea lets see what we can do I will try very hard for saturday early morning if thats good for you?

We're getting together on sept 7 to hopefully finish ALL The little $hit that needs to be done. I WILL be home though Sat the 23rd to do a few things if you want then. I have Shift light module to put in also. If you are good with electronics, we can also put in the horn and alarm siren..Let me know
Thanks
RC

You know I called you saturday man, had my meter and little electrical connectors and everything in my car ready to help you and you didnt answer:nonono:

:bs:
You must have dialed the wrong number :stupid: :lol:

OK...NEXT WEEK, Saturday we're going to try to finish up ALL The little $heet left to do. Let me know if you can make it then...

OR

Sometime during the day on Labor day.

OR

Tuesday evening

OR

Wed in the morning.

Any of those days are fine.. While the air bag is out I Was planning on painting that section black.

THANKs!! :flag:
RC